LegacyGT.com

EJ25 to EZ30 swap

I know this has been discussed before, I'm using this as a place to gather information, start a build thread, and hopefully others can use as a reference.

The Vehicle: 2004 Legacy wagon, 35th anniversary, manual. 255,000 km on the clock, transmission feels like it's brand new, engine developed rod knock because someone forgot to check the oil before a long road trip. Other than a couple rust spots and minor electrical gremlins (a couple lights out, tailgate not locking) it's in fantastic condition.

The Swap: I love the car, want a little more power and plan to tow a bit, H6 seemed the way to go. I'm looking for a couple years out of the car. Local junkyard will sell me literally anything I want off a 3.0 outback including the list below for $1,000, only issue is high mileage on the parts car. $1200 if I want the car. May hunt for another, may look into rebuild, I'll be looking for some advice.

Parts needed:

Engine

ECU

TCU

Engine mounts

Power steering + alternator

AC (lets be honest, this isn't likely to work after the swap. The summer car is a convertible anyway)

Harness

Exhaust

Info Sources:

First is a link to a forum where someone worked out a number of trouble codes, specifically with how to work around the TCU trouble codes that come up with hooking an engine designed for an auto with the manual trans.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t155496-dynes-1999-2-5rs-h6-ez30d-swap.html

Don't treat the below as accurate for this swap, it isn't. But it does give some look into the process as a starting point.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t141937-brydon-teaches-you-merge-harness.html

Concerns:

Ontario, Canada emissions: The legacy never came with the 3.0 in 2004, but the outback did. Is that enough to require hot rod status? If so may have insurance issues. If I can get the car rebranded as a 3.0 should be straight forward

2004 engine (is 2004 gen 3 or gen 4? Seems inconsistent) but I want to avoid the second iteration of the EZ30d with it's CAN and immobilizer and VVT, not worth the hastle

VDC, see point above. I think the 05's become more complicated, but the scrapper was asking if I want the VDC module and I didn't have an answer for him.

rebuild parts. I'd ideally get an engine with 150,000km not 200,000+ but for the price I'd consider doing a rebuild. I can find pistons, but I can't find any replacement / oversize bearings for the engine. Anyone have any sources? This strangely may end up being a deal breaker. I don't want forged internals or anything, price is a big factor here.

Wiring:

Off the top of my head, H6 may have a difference in O2 sensors, reverse lights will be different. Neutral switch vs PRNDL hookup. Inhibit? Clutch switch, VDC switch. Engine will all be the new harness from the firewall up, except where some hacking needs to go on for the TCU. That harness will be mangled a bit at the firewall connectors, and the main vehicle loom will have to have a couple things added.

the link below is a factory schematic for the vehicle. That's this weeks project, making a plan.

http://schnooze.com/files/legacy_manual/Legacy%20Wiring.pdf

I'll add information for discussion in future posts, and reserve this first one as a walk through of all the final decisions and diagrams etc.

Discuss and comment away!

Archived