LegacyGT.com

Question about MAPs and Modules

Outback2.5XT-05

I recently brought my 2007 OutbackXT with APv3 Stage 1 ACN/91 OTS MAP into a smog station where they plugged in their smog scanner and quickly determined that 2 of the modules were "not ready".

When I bought the vehicle (used), I remember the shop which I took it to have a pre-purchase inspection pulling up the same issue. His advice was to drive it on the freeway a while and that it would PROBABLY be ok thereafter. As far as I know, the computer was unmodified at this point, it could have been a"stock-simulated" MAP, but appeared to be sluggish throttle stock tune.

I've had the car worked on by professionals and so far as I know this was never an issue, never caused any CELs, etc and was likely the oem tune as no one ever mentioned it.

Fast forward a year and here we are today. IIRC, I believe that the same modules read "not ready" as during the initial inspection.

Does anyone know if the AP disables certain "modules" in this way?

If so, will un-marrying the access port and driving most likely "fix" this?

And that leads to the next question. When un-marrying an AP(or reflashing the same OTS Stage 1 as I have installed now after re-marrying the AP) is it recommended I go through the same datalog procedures again or can I expect the ecu and motor to operate consistently once the same map is reflashed? (as it was kind of a PITA but I'm really not trying to blow up my motor)

I've been looking around here for a few days and haven't quite found anything that would address these questions. Any help is really appreciated!

You should be able to check the ready monitor status right on the accessport. Don't remember the name of the section on the main menu offhand, but look for a "diagnostics" section with a check engine light icon.

I believe you are correct about accessing those monitors, however, I have not disconnected by battery in +/-5000 miles and have been running my OTS cobb stage 1 tune for at least 500 miles now with no problems, so those monitors should be ready if the AP doesn't disconnect them.

I can't imagine that flashing maps back and forth is good for the ecu in the long run. I am wondering if the "Not Ready" status could be indicative of other issues before I take the steps to unmarry the AP and do a hard reset on the ECU or if this is usually even necessary?

Thanks for your input!

Earlier today I had my OTS Stage 1 tune active for +-500 miles of inconsistent city driving, and the only monitor that just wouldn't load was the catalyst monitor.

I talked to Cobb tech support and they said their stage 1 OTS shouldn't cause any issues like that and everything is generally loaded within 500 miles.

Since then, and upon my mechanic's advice I unmarried the AP and have driven about 40 miles and have every monitor loaded except the same "catalyst" and "evap" now as well, most likely due to the oem reflash I assume.

I've been reading here all day and found http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-ca-smog-obdii-info-thread-199919.html?highlight=catalyst with some interesting info. I am about to go run another drive cycle attempt now and will update asap.

Update:

After unmarrying the AP (which may not have been necessary) and performing both procedures listed here (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-ca-smog-obdii-info-thread-199919.html) and in under 40 miles total, I seem to have "readied" all monitors/modules and had no issues passing.

FWIW it appears to be necessary to hold steady speed/throttle position in gear and without applying brakes to ready the catalyst. As I mentioned before, nearly 500 miles of city driving and countless starts did not do what that procedure did in about 40 miles and in 3 "drive cycles".

Hopefully this helps anyone going through the same crap, thanks for your input phate.

Archived