LegacyGT.com

Tire Guages

Grumpy

I'm new to this web sight, and the owner of a 2005 OB XT. Have had it about 6 weeks and love it. Only problem, from day one was it pulling to the right. Dealer did 4 wheel align., said it was out from the factory. Helped, but didn't fix. Dealer took tires/rims from a new 06 OB XT and swapped em with mine, and that just about cured problem. Now, only have 1400 miles on tires, and can't justify new Toyo's or Michelin's right now. The BS potenzas seem real picky as to tire pressure, and right now I'm running 35 lbs front and rear.

My problem is that 3 different guages, 2 dial and one stick give me 3 different readings with a spread of 6 lbs. I know everyone has a guage, but how do you know that the reading its giving is correct? What can you compare it with or against? I went on-line with Summit Racing and am tempted to order one of their pro series guages, which are said to be accurate within .5 lb. Anyone have any input as to a GOOD guage?

I know this might seem like an elementary subject, but I'll bet that if you compare your guage with your buddy's you'll probably get two different readings. Which o

ne's right?

Thanks for any input.

Grumpy

The only problem with your math is you're adding cold air to warm tires. There has to be some sort of compensation with that I would think.

Wait for Keefe to see this and he'll provide his recommendations for gauges. I need to get one as well. I had the tire place do 37/35 yesterday when I got my Yokos. Got home and used my stick on the fronts and it read 41.

imo the most important thing when using tire pressure gauges is to use the same one each time. it might not be 100% accurate, but it should be consistent and you'll know where you stand each time. having said that, i use a digital gauge which zeros itself out before every reading. at a track day earlier this year, we compared five or six different gauges. the three digital ones all read within 0.5 psi of each other, the stick gauge was like 1 psi higher, one dial gauge (dunno what it's called) was 0.5 lower, and one was 2 psi higher.

it's hard to read pressures in 0.5 psi increments on a stick gauge, plus it's difficult to fit it under rotors (on motorcycles).

Archived