LegacyGT.com

97 Legacy Slipping Automatic Transmission problem.

I'm the poor schmuck who had a disaster getting his subaru rebuilt. I have new fluid from the rebuild in the transmitting it was slightly overfilled.

What I am experiencing is when I start out cold, very cold these days, it goes into gear and then I come up to a stop and it goes into gear just fine and then it suddenly slips out of gear and I'm just revving the engine and then it catches. No terrible noise and I am babying it as it is very common.

Also when I come up to quick stop it tends to die, don't know if the two issues are linked. I'm afraid the dying on sudden stops might be related to the Air Control Valve which seems to be over $300 anywhere I find it.

I remember a long time ago I owned a subaru that had a transmission problem and my local dealer at that time fixed it for me for less than $100. I don't feel I get the same service from my local dealer now and I want to see if there is a sensor or other problem other than needing a new transmission for a vehicle I already have way too much money in.

It seems to run fairly smooth when it warms up.

If there is another thread on this issue I would be happy to dive into it. Thanks in advance.

are you sure it has the correct amount of fluid in it.

the dip sticks can be difficult to read.

look at both sides of the dip stick.

when you pull iy out and wipe it,

WAIT before you re-insert it.

wait for the fluid on the dip stick tube to run back down into the pan.

you don't want fluid from the tube to muck up your actual reading.

the trans holds over 10 qts of fluid.

but an oil pan drain will only remove about 3.5 qts.

i had a rear output shaft seal blow out on the hiway.

drove 20 min. to home and a local shop.

i spent WAY to much to replace the seal,

and went on my way.

at dinner that night i lost reverse.

and then added over 4 qts of fluid.

i went back to the shop the next day and asked how much fluid he added after replacing the seal.

he said ''none, the dip showed full''.

apparently the large puddle under the car was not a clue.

are you sure it has the correct amount of fluid in it.

the dip sticks can be difficult to read.

look at both sides of the dip stick.

when you pull iy out and wipe it,

WAIT before you re-insert it.

wait for the fluid on the dip stick tube to run back down into the pan.

you don't want fluid from the tube to muck up your actual reading.

the trans holds over 10 qts of fluid.

but an oil pan drain will only remove about 3.5 qts.

i had a rear output shaft seal blow out on the hiway.

drove 20 min. to home and a local shop.

i spent WAY to much to replace the seal,

and went on my way.

at dinner that night i lost reverse.

and then added over 4 qts of fluid.

i went back to the shop the next day and asked how much fluid he added after replacing the seal.

he said ''none, the dip showed full''.

apparently the large puddle under the car was not a clue.

LOL, its a funny world out there. Sounds like I need to get it hot, pull the stick while the car is running and wait till the fluid settles and then dip it and check the level. I can give it a shot.

My readings have indicated it has been a little over but it might be the wet tube. Also, I don't know if it is a leaky seal on the drive shaft below the dip stick but I have some fluid that leaks onto the exhaust and stinks like hell. I can't tell for certain if it is fluid from gears or if it is overflow of transmission. Any experience with this?

Johnegg, I just checked the level, car running and hot with the dip stick pulled out for 5 minutes and the level shows to be high, all the way up to where the dip stick goes from the flate state to the round. It's more or less the reading I've been getting since I got the new battery in it and have been driving it. Clean red fluid. I read that overfilling isn't that much of an issue but maybe if I'm lucky draining a bit might help? Your thoughts?

did you read both sides?

the amount of fluid it takes to move from Low to Full is only about 16 ounces.

and i hear that over filling can cause problems as well, but i do not know.

did you ever drive it with the level low?

I have only driven the car for maybe 8 months. It has spent over two years in parts. This morning I let it warm up before I took off and it ran just fine. It shifted much more reliably when it was still fall.

I did check both sides of the stick.

Archived