LegacyGT.com

Can power steering mount bolt affect cylinder 1?

This is a 2005 outback xt

Ok so here is my issue. I recently replaced my power steering pump because my ps is having issues, this did not fix those issues but may have caused others. So in the process of putting the new power steering pump in I accidentally used long bolt that goes on front right of mounting bracket in back. I tightened it and it seemed a bit harder to tighten and so realized that it was wrong bolt and took it out, I probably did a couple of turns after hitting resistance.

Didn't think anything of if, got back together fine after that and went to start it and the car runs horrible. Really rough idle, I drove up street and ran rough, then there P0301, or misfire cylinder 1.

Parked it again and took look at all wiring to make sure it was all connected, revved the engine and smoke came out of exhaust.

Sooo my question is, is it possible that I punctured something with that long bolt, for instance the cylinder? Seems like that should be impossible but the timing is to coincidental. Again I didn't tighten that bolt like crazy just a few turns with resistance with a normal socket.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on what is problem they would be much appreciated

Also that code doesn't automatically appear when starting car

Very, very, unlikely.

Make sure you put your engine to frame ground back on.

Make sure your crank sensor is plugged in ok. It's right there under the PS/Alternator and could have been halfway pulled off.

You probably pulled off the air box when you replaced the pump. Make sure all the intake clamps are tight, no leaks into the air intake post the MAF. If they are leaking the engine will not idle right.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Archived