LegacyGT.com

Bad clutch or trans?

When I start the car, and let up the clutch and let it warm up, I hear a high pitch whining. I can push the clutch pedal in like half an inch and its not as loud, halfway in and it makes a different noise, all the way in and its quiet. Am I looking at clutch disc etc job. Or is it something with the pedal itself? Maybe fluid? Or god forbid actual transmission.

2010 Legacy 2.5i Base, Manual, 93k Miles, After market exhaust.

Also have not noticed any loss of power or slippage.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

You have a couple options either remove the engine or remove the trans. However, if you remove the trans you will need to support the engine inside the engine bay with a special hoist. Personally I would buy a clutch kit, and remove the engine. Its not terribly hard and most of the work is done from the top. At your mileage you might as well do it all, for the amount of work it will take to get to the parts.

I noticed a ticking after my car sat for a couple days what are the odds it was the TOB? Gonna start planning for my own clutch change. Part number for the TSK kit?

I dont know the exact part# if there is one but the TSK-3 will fit our cars. I got my from fredbeans before they went off the grid

When I start the car, and let up the clutch and let it warm up, I hear a high pitch whining. I can push the clutch pedal in like half an inch and its not as loud, halfway in and it makes a different noise, all the way in and its quiet. Am I looking at clutch disc etc job. Or is it something with the pedal itself? Maybe fluid? Or god forbid actual transmission.

2010 Legacy 2.5i Base, Manual, 93k Miles, After market exhaust.

Also have not noticed any loss of power or slippage.

Is this an everyday/all day thing? I wouldn't worry too much if it's only for a minute or so when you first start the car.

I get a TOB squeal every once in a while, and its been happening more the last year or so since my car hasn't been on primary transportation duty. It started at about 30k miles and I have a little over 50k miles on the stock clutch. Like I said, it only happens once in a while.

Mine usually whines at a cold start, I don't notice after I've driven where I needed to or the rest of the day, but I never actually listened for it after the cold start. I'll do some more listening tomorrow.

Archived