LegacyGT.com

ECU "Locking" issue

Hey guys, long time no post....

a quick update on my build if i may, before i address the issue at bay.

Following my BNIB OEM EJ257 shortblock swap in June, i had encountered a catastrophic injector malfunction which left me with half a piston at the #2 cylinder. With that being said, i decided to do things right once and for all, and stepped up to an IAG Stage 2 "TUFF" block, added ebay headers from a buddy of mine, a Tial Gen1 38mm ewg, topfeed conversion with Bosch 1000s, aeromotive rails and lines, IAG AOS, fuel labs FPR and a couple other small goodies im probably forgetting.

Car dyno'd in at 387 whp, and 417 wtq on a dynojet on a warm (85+ degrees) day in florida, with the P&P VF52 with Billet 20G wheel set at ~25 psi.

so... the issue...

car has been running great, until an issue had risen last week.

i was driving around when i noticed my AP (V3) screen started flashing, shutting off and turning back on. i didnt think much of it, figuring it was probably my foot hitting the OBD connector. welp, then i found myself with the car sitting at a clean idle at a red light when it suddenly just shut off. it had done that twice while on the road, and one last time when i finally got home.

the next morning i had started the car routinely before leaving for work, when while waiting for it to warm up, it had shut down again. only this time, it had decided it will not start again, the gauges displayed a "ER HC" message on the odometer, and the temp gauge was pinned at the H position.

i had left the car in that position for the rest of the day until returning from work. i then proceeded to dig up the ecu under the carpet, but did nothing more than literally look at it, also pulled a couple fuses from the box by the driver knee, disconnected the ecu harness under the hood (before disconnecting the battery, yes i know thats a mistake) and disconnected the battery. i dont know what, but i did something and the car fired back up, ran fine for about a week until this wednesday (Jan 6th).

on wednesday night, after lots of driving, and some racing with friends, i was home bound when i noticed the AP started flashing again, i figured for it to be a sign, and was rushing home, not caring to attempt to slow at orange lights etc. unfortunately, as i was about 3 miles away, i was passing over a bridge when suddenly i noticed the car was literally tripping out, cutting off twice, and then eventually shutting off, the motor kept running while in gear, but there was no throttle response and the gauges displayed 0 RPM, as well as the AP went blank. i managed to roll into the gas station where i attempted to follow the same steps as the previous time in hopes of reviving the car but that didnt work. so i ended up towing home.

yesterday, i was fiddling with it again and managed to get it started, i was fiddling with the ecu harness, having twisted it and reconnected it, then the car started, but its still been acting up, and had shut down on me one more time since, and had the AP flash 3 times.

so to recap, symptoms of issue are flashing AP, sudden cutting of the engine, and finally what seems to be a total lockout of the ECU, putting it in a "test mode" while the connectors are apart. also need to mention that when it locks out like that, the AP will turn on as long as the key is not in the ON position, as soon as i turn it to the ON position the AP will shut and not respond at all...

so, has anyone faced any issue like this? what is a solution of this if you have? sorry for the lengthy post but figured the details are important. thank you in advance!

ShermanLGT

You sure its not a low battery? If not , contact Cobb and they''' walk you through some stuff to figure out the problem. If the ECU is semi bricked they might have you send it in and reflash for free if its the cobbs fault.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Archived