LegacyGT.com

'99 legacy sus 5mt swap questions

first of all let me say thank you for all the threads i have been able to read about doing a manul swap, but i still have some questions that i would like to have answered before i start dropping cash...some background in case you are wondering. i have a 99 legacy sus (as you may have gathered from the title) with over a quarter mill on the clock and it keeps ticking. the reason for the swap is better diving experience and that it shifts hard into 2nd and is starting to slip into 3rd even after a few drain and fills(didn't feel a flush was safe to do with that many miles)....now that i have that out of the way let me get to the questions i have. first off i have seen some contradictions about the ecu needing changed, but im thinking that this is for turbo engines mostly and so you dont have to mess with splicing reverse lights,neutral safety switch, and cruise (all of which im not worried about at the moment). i have seen something about grounding out a certain pin in the ecu to make it think it is a manual but beyond that im not sure about any other ecu issues along with the swap. question # 2 is about the trans crossmember. from what ive seen is that either one would require modification. is this true or does anybody know of a prefabbed or certain one i could use and not hve to mod? this is a daily driver and cant afford to have it down for very long so any help or thread directions would be great appreciated

THERE IS NO MANUAL TRans with the 4.44 ratio.

outback, GT and forester manual trans all have a 4.11 ratio.

so you will have t oswap in the matching rear diff if you do the swap.

i suggest you search for a manual trans car that you like and buy it.

way easier than doing the swap.

if you are going to go through with it,

the best solution is to buy a manual outback with a bad engine or wrecked.

what way one purchase has ALL of the parts you need.

scrap what is left after.

3000 lb car will get you about $100. ($3.50 per 100 lbs. around here.)

good luck.

Archived