LegacyGT.com

Unidentified engine noise / power loss

Hey everyone, hoping someone out there might be able to point me in the right direction with some of the issues I'm having with my Legacy. Its starting to run

99 L wagon, 2.2 automatic. 187k. Love this car. I've owned it for 2 years, first year it ran awesome. This fall it started to feel as if it was acting a little sluggish. The engine has started to sound louder and make a few strange sounds.

It seems to be the loudest around 3000 rpm, and when the car is being pushed a bit- up a hill or accelerating on the freeway. When it starts getting loud and I let off the gas slowly, just before I release the pedal to zero is when its the loudest. The best way I can describe this is it sounds like its revved high, and then takes a few seconds to subside. (RPM gauge stays constant.) I've also noticed that when I maintain a constant speed and go down hill it gets louder. There is another more subtle noise that happens randomly every 5-10 seconds only when the engine is making this other loud sound. The subtle noise to me sounds like a few short clicks or vibration taps... somewhat like a ratchet when turned 3 clicks. It sounds like a flutter, or something mechanical, not like a bolt rattling around.

It's burned excessive oil since I've owned it. Probably a quart every 700 miles. I always keep my eye on it and never let it run low. I've looked all over for leaks and dont see it dripping - no drips on my garage floor.

No codes or anything, I want to see if its something I can take care of before it turns into a serious problem.

I've done PCV valve, valve cover gaskets, new NGK iridium plugs, and NGK wire set. I have a new fuel filter I want to put in.

Not sure if sensors screwing with fuel/air ratio, something internal in engine related to valves? Timing belt was done at 100K but heard the tensioners and bearings going bad can make similar sounds. I'll record the sound tonight and post it as it might help.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Archived