LegacyGT.com

Dashcam vs GoPro

housemusic1

I've been looking around too for dash cams.

this is the one I've been looking at.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/V1-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Detection/dp/B00X528FNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1452212926&sr=1-1&keywords=dash+cams]Amazon.com : Rexing V1 2.7" LCD FHD 1080p 170° Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam with G-Sensor, WDR, Night Vision, Motion Detection : Car Electronics[/ame]

BlackVue is the shiznit in the dashcam department. I just picked up the DR650-GW 2 channel but haven't installed it yet. I know several people with BlackVue units and all of them are very happy.

www.blackboxmycar.com

A GoPro really won't work for dashcam duty since it doesn't loop video on the file media and hardwiring it to start/stop automatically isn't an option, among other things.

I bought Mobius C2 daylight is decent but night vision lacks. But for $68 bucks is not bad for its size I can program it as a spy camera that no one knows.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

BlackVue is the shiznit in the dashcam department. I just picked up the DR650-GW 2 channel but haven't installed it yet. I know several people with BlackVue units and all of them are very happy.

www.blackboxmycar.com

A GoPro really won't work for dashcam duty since it doesn't loop video on the file media and hardwiring it to start/stop automatically isn't an option, among other things.

Yeah, I realized after I posted the thread, that GoPro wasn't a dashcam option. Blackvue looks really good, but pretty expensive. Does anybody here have experience with GoPro for either in car, or exterior driving videos?

www.blackboxmycar.com

So far I'm pretty happy with my 550 2ch camera.

I managed to navigate my way around the Russian forum for dashcams where some developers have come up with an improved firmware for it. It improves the bitrate and night quality.

The main difference between dashcams and cameras like the Go Pro are things like parking mode - a motion sensing mode that will record when motion (impact or video) is detected. In the case of the BlackVue it will buffer a few seconds of video to capture events before the motion is detected.

GPS for speed and location data, loop recording are also frequently found on dashcams.

If you're going to use the power magic box though, I'd shop for something else. The BlackVue Power Magic Pro doesn't have the best voltage cut-offs so it's likely you'll put additional strain on the battery. I'm fairly certain the regular drain downs to 12v from overnight parking mode prematurely killed my battery.

There's a Lukas box that has 12.2 and 12.4v cut-offs you might want to look at.

Oh, and I didn't like the adhesive windshield mount for the BlackVue so I 3D printed this mirror mount for it:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i357/ssbtech/BlackVue/IMG_20150507_125524_zpsh8logrdo.jpg

Archived