LegacyGT.com

Engine Bay Cleaning

Hello,

I was just wondering if any of you have ever power washed your engine bay (local coin OP) during the winter months? If so, did you have any engine problems?

Also, is it safe to power wash 2012 Legacy 4-cylinder engine bay? I have read mixed reviews, but if I don't power wash it down, it looks like crap after winter.

Just wondering what kind of problems (if any) people have had after using water to clean their engine.

Thanks much!

I wouldn't recommend power washing. With that power you could inadvertently damage components or force water where you don't want/intend. Depending on where you are, salt would be the most obvious concern and you could rinse that off using low pressure, and preferable not on a hot engine...

I've washed out my engine bays with a soap soak and garden hose pressure water before without many issues. The only issue I did have is I found out that I had a crack in my knock-sensor and got a knock sensor CEL after washing it. I wouldn't suggest doing it to a hot engine, though after you do wash it I would take it for a long drive to dry out the engine bay, used some compressed air to blow it off first if you can.

That all being said, I have blasted my hot engine at the car wash in the Winter, but keep the high pressure wand as far away as you can, and keep it moving. If you hold the wand a few feet away the water won't have enough force to work past any seals or damage any gaskets. Also try not to blast water directly on any electrical connections, if you do and you are worried just pop them appart and dry them with some compressed air, but they are usually pretty well sealed.

Archived