LegacyGT.com

Hesitation and Relay Click

Hi everyone

I'm in a 1997 Legacy L wagon.

Recently I found that one of the nodes on my coil pack is very corroded, along with its corresponding wire. I assume it is arcing and creating a carbon buildup. I've been experiencing engine lurch while driving, a little more when accelerating, and its smelling a little rich. I account most of it to this problem. I've ordered new wires and a new coil pack to replace these ones.

However, I am also getting hesitation and slight lurching accompanied by what sounds like a relay click coming from one by my left leg. I've done some research and found that this happens to people with their A/C relays, but this has all been happening with the heater on.

Possible factors/additional notes:

- I just replaced an O-ring in my power steering pump. Since it's on the same belt as the alternator, could a loose belt be the issue?

-The majority of these clicks happened below freezing temps. Heater was on + defroster. When the click happens the fans fluctuate.

- The clicks also seemed to happen when the engine was under stress (accelerating, uphill w/ luggage).

- Corroded coil pack-wire connection on piston 1.

- CEL is on. Will check the code when I'm home. (On ski vacation right now).

-Clicks are always accompanied by lurching, but lurching is not always accompanied by clicking. I assumed the corroded coil pack node causes the lurching (misfire) when there's no click.

I turned the heater, fans, A/C off and the clicks still happened, just a lot less. A similar click happens when I turn the fans on or off, but no lurching/hesitation.

Can anyone help me understand what's going on?

Found the issue. Severely corroded ignition coil node on coil 1 caused by a bent plug wire connector. Replaced both and the old grandpa wagon is driving happy :)

I don't know what caused the click, but it went away with the new stuff.

Archived