LegacyGT.com

Emissions

alex0856

Hey all, I'm moving to Orange County on Tuesday and need to register my car there since my WA plates expire next month.

I've got a Cobb catted TBE on it right now...do I have to put in a stock DP for emissions testing? Or will I get away since it's catted?

You can borrow my stock DP. I'm in Torrance. Typically you only have to smog every 2 years, although the DMV does profile certain cars. I'm new to the Subie, but I've had Hondas that they made me smog every year, and at "certified Gold station's" at that..... PITA for sure.

You can get away with out of state tags, if you stay under the radar. But like scoobyscoodle said... you are moving Behind the Orange Curtain....

You will need to put on the stock DP and flash back to the stock map. I also would have the stock intercooler, bpv, etc. on the car when you get it smogged.

Welcome to the People's Republic of California.

Stock tune? I got smogged last year 2014 with my Stage 1 tune on the car. Have you had a different experience in SoCal?

Yep, fail visual without the OEM DP. If you can find an aftermarket DP with 2 cats and a CARB sticker you can probably pass SMOG, but I don't think that exists.

For 2016, I'll have to put everything as close to stock as I can in order to pass and hope that the new tests doesn't read the tune as too out of spec.

We have had this thread going in the Norcal forums -

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-ca-smog-obdii-info-thread-199919.html

Yep, fail visual without the OEM DP. If you can find an aftermarket DP with 2 cats and a CARB sticker you can probably pass SMOG, but I don't think that exists.

For 2016, I'll have to put everything as close to stock as I can in order to pass and hope that the new tests doesn't read the tune as too out of spec.

We have had this thread going in the Norcal forums -

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-ca-smog-obdii-info-thread-199919.html

Ah, another productivity killing thread for me to read...

I don't know if I'll need to smog in 2016. I shouldn't have to, because I bought it in May 2015. But they loved telling me to smog my Hondas every year. Not sure if they were profiling me or the car models. So in a weird way, i can't wait to get my registration renewal to know my status!

I've passed with the non-stock map, but nowadays things are a bit different. If you have to go to one of the "star certified" stations, then all it is is an OBD scan and no sniff test at all. For that one you wanna be on the stock map, and they do still do a full visual inspection, but no more sniffer.

I think about 50% of them now say "star certified required" on the registration renewal.

I've passed with the non-stock map, but nowadays things are a bit different. If you have to go to one of the "star certified" stations, then all it is is an OBD scan and no sniff test at all. For that one you wanna be on the stock map, and they do still do a full visual inspection, but no more sniffer.

I think about 50% of them now say "star certified required" on the registration renewal.

Just did this on my 02 BE in October, and some of the shops (the First one i went to) was an ass about the visual inspection, I had a replacement weld in cat and he was giving me 21 questions about it cause of the shit job the shop i took it to did welding the thing in and he thought i had done the cut it open and removed the guts from it.

Took it to anther shop down the road and passed no problem. but thats all they did is a obd and visual scan.

Archived