LegacyGT.com

Broken ignition cylinder

05 LGT, manual trans with immobilizer.

Went out to my car yesterday morning and found that my ignition key pretty much free wheels in the cylinder. I took the ignition switch off the back side and found the problem. The T shape piece of metal that turns the switch, that looks like it's connected to the backside of theq key cylinder, broke off. I can't seem to find any info on whether the key cylinder comes out of the housing or not. Any of the cars I've worked on have all had a release to remove the key cylinder, but I can't seem to find anything. I have an account All Data and there is no procedure on how to remove it. Has anyone changed this before, is it serviceable or do I need to buy the entire housing with new keys?

I can take pictures later if anyone is confused on what I'm talking about.

Any info is much appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

05 LGT, manual trans with immobilizer.

Went out to my car yesterday morning and found that my ignition key pretty much free wheels in the cylinder. I took the ignition switch off the back side and found the problem. The T shape piece of metal that turns the switch, that looks like it's connected to the backside of theq key cylinder, broke off. I can't seem to find any info on whether the key cylinder comes out of the housing or not. Any of the cars I've worked on have all had a release to remove the key cylinder, but I can't seem to find anything. I have an account All Data and there is no procedure on how to remove it. Has anyone changed this before, is it serviceable or do I need to buy the entire housing with new keys?

I can take pictures later if anyone is confused on what I'm talking about.

Any info is much appreciated.

Hopefully this helps others who may have a similar issue.

I took the cylinder housing off the column to get a better look at it. First off, All Data wants you to pull the column to remove it because the bolt heads are smooth. I ground down the bracket with a dremel and used a turbo socket to take them out with the column in the car.

7f4e56aaea536d1ad30fa5143833ae4b.jpg

Once I got it out, I could tell the key cylinder isn't serviceable. I blasted out the roll pins and damaged it all but I wanted to see the part that broke. This is what I found.

2c8ffba5a47d22054c4d5612ad9d3518.jpg

The top "T" part is what broke off and it's what drives the ignition switch. Again, it's not serviceable so I had to order a whole new key set with the new lock cylinder.

Archived