LegacyGT.com

Car Accident: how much $$$ to fix?

The vehicle has full coverage.

When vehicles get repaired under these circumstances (car accident), are automotive repair shops required to fix the vehicle with OEM parts?

Aftermarket transmission cooler is smashed.

HID's smashed.

Aftermarket intake smashed. If they put an OEM one back on, will the party that's liable pay for a dyno tune?

Aftermarket IPT oil feed line kit is smashed right off the OCV. Is Subaru going to put an OEM feed line kit on? I already capped it... I'm not sure if they can even if they attempt to. The vehicle's turbo (and engine) was destroyed because of this issue a few years back. I'm just not sure if repair shops are allowed to use aftermarket parts when repairing vehicles that were involved in accidents.

Thanks

**other party is liable. Waiting for adjuster. And someone sell me their 05-07 naturally aspirated Legacy. I'm done with turbos

The problem with photos is generally that they are too large. There is a file size limit so that we don't fill up the LGT.com servers with oversized pics. Resize them down and try again.

Your cost will be your deductible or nothing depending on fault. The adjuster will determine how much it should cost to do the repair. It will then be between your adjuster and the shop of your choice to come to an agreement on the final price once the work is complete. The adjuster is the person to talk to if you want all OEM parts, which isn't really strictly necessary, but if you want to fight for that, you can. My guess is that they will not cover aftermarket parts or a tune back to stock, but again, you'll have to discuss that with the adjuster.

Once your car is fixed (if it is fixed), you can probably trade it to a 2.5i owner with buyers remorse over a GT on here pretty easily. If the insurance company totals it, you may want to consider buying it back on the cheap and parting it out. Good luck!

The vehicle has full coverage.

When vehicles get repaired under these circumstances (car accident), are automotive repair shops required to fix the vehicle with OEM parts?

Aftermarket transmission cooler is smashed.

HID's smashed.

Aftermarket intake smashed. If they put an OEM one back on, will the party that's liable pay for a dyno tune?

Aftermarket IPT oil feed line kit is smashed right off the OCV. Is Subaru going to put an OEM feed line kit on? I already capped it... I'm not sure if they can even if they attempt to. The vehicle's turbo (and engine) was destroyed because of this issue a few years back. I'm just not sure if repair shops are allowed to use aftermarket parts when repairing vehicles that were involved in accidents.

Thanks

**other party is liable. Waiting for adjuster. And someone sell me their 05-07 naturally aspirated Legacy. I'm done with turbos

From my experience on aftermarket parts on motorcycle claims (insurance companies might handle this differently with regular automobiles), they have always covered the cost and installation of aftermarket parts as long as you have the proper receipts as a proof of purchase or invoice.

You insurance adjuster would be the best person to be able to answer that question. Different companies have different policies, policies also can differ by state, and also can differ by what coverage you opted for.

Once your car is fixed (if it is fixed), you can probably trade it to a 2.5i owner with buyers remorse over a GT on here pretty easily. If the insurance company totals it, you may want to consider buying it back on the cheap and parting it out. Good luck!

I think I'm the only one on this forum from Minnesota.

I looked on the classifieds. There are only TWO 05-07 naturally aspirated Legacy's & one has 240k:/

rofl

There is no chance you are the only one from Minnesota. Why does the 2.5i need to be located in Minnesota? What's a 5-10 hour drive in any direction for a one time swap with somebody. Hell, you could probably be in New England in 20. And no need to check in with the folks actively trying to sell a 2.5i. When you're ready, create a thread with a set of serious trade conditions and see if anybody bites. There are threads all over the place here of people that lament their naturally aspirated purchase and want to mod it into a GT. We always tell them that they are better off selling the 2.5i and buying a GT. Here you are with a need in the other direction. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

It was totalled. They ended up giving me $7k for it ...probably because they had to reference it off an 07 that was over 300 miles away, lol. In the 3 years of owning this vehicle, I've seen about 2-3 others.

Small town USA

I'm not buying it back though. Piston slap was so bad I got complaints & couldn't even park it in the garage at my apartment. Stock exhaust, aftermarket Pistons. Glad I'm done with that clatter. No more tractor noise.

See my FS thread!

Archived