LegacyGT.com

Just had surgey

FAILBOT

Just had around 5 different types of sinus surgeries at the same time. Hoping it takes care of all my breathing problems. Right now it's sucks a bit though. Hungry and tired and I can't do either. At least the headache has passed and I don't feel sick anymore. So I figured for recovery that I'd download Fallout 4 and have at it.

Anyone else ever have major sinus surgery? If so, how long did it take you to recover?

Bummer, that doesn't sound like fun. I remember years ago my Dad had a deviated septum repaired. He's a pretty tough dude, not much stops him, and he was wiped out for about 2-3 days after the surgery.

I hope the video games can keep your mind off the recovery time and that you start feeling normal quickly.

I hope so too. I'm off work for 2 weeks to cover holidays and hopefully give a little better recovery time. I work what can be a dirty dusty job at times. I don't want to risk even the slightest chance for an infection. Deviated septum was one of the surgeries I had done. Basically that, removed a bone spur, did some stuff in my cheeks and up by my forehead, then practically roto routered my turbinates.

ah, had a similar surgery exactly one year and one day ago. Fixed a deviated septum and reduced the turbinates. No pain to speak of after the first night, but had the plastic splints in there for a week. Basically feels like a bad cold/stuffy nose the entire time.

The first inhalation after the Dr. removed the splints was incredible. You get used to it fast though and after a few days you'll start wondering if anything actually changed. It's hard to remember how bad it was, but you'll notice having more energy, not having to breathe through your mouth after climbing a set of stairs, etc. I thought I had really bad allergies, cause any little thing would make me sneeze and my nose would be completely blocked. Not anymore :)

My nose was packed with absorbent cotton plug, and I actually removed them myself prior to my doctor followup. Felt like that scene from the original Total Recall where Arnie has to remove the tracking bug via his nose...

The first inhalation after the Dr. removed the splints was incredible. You get used to it fast though and after a few days you'll start wondering if anything actually changed. It's hard to remember how bad it was, but you'll notice having more energy, not having to breathe through your mouth after climbing a set of stairs, etc. I thought I had really bad allergies, cause any little thing would make me sneeze and my nose would be completely blocked. Not anymore :)

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. I go in for my checkup tomorrow. Hoping the stents get removed and hoping that they are what are keeping me from breathing right now. I literally can't sleep for more than 1hr at a time. Waking from severe dry mouth from having to breathe only through my mouth. Also hoping the extra energy.

Felt like that scene from the original Total Recall where Arnie has to remove the tracking bug via his nose...

This is what I'm fearing when he takes out the stents. Also, this is exactly the scene that came to mind when I was thinking about how the surgery would feel.

Don't stress out about it. It wasn't painful at all to remove the cotton packing. Just weird and gross because I didn't know they were there at first, then I started looking at the recovery progress and saw them up there.

He probably has a couple of plastic splints from the deviated septum fix.. They're held in (most likely) with one stitch on each nostril so they won't come out until the doctor cuts the stitch ;)

Removing them is gross but not painful at all, don't worry about it! They are huge and go in really far, but they slide right out once the stitch is gone. And yes, they are absolutely what's keeping you from breathing and awake, along with some dried blood, etc. When the doc pulls them out, he'll also probably use a vacuum to clean everything up and you'll feel like you can breathe for the first time in your life haha. It's awesome!

I didn't have sinus surgery, just the deviated septum and the turbinates, so the recovery will likely be different. But you'll feel a 1000% better as soon as the doc removes the stuff inside your nose. Then over the next few weeks, your sense of smell will get progressively better, your nose will start producing mucous and all that fun stuff again.. In the meantime you'll likely have a "dry nose" which can be uncomfortable - but not as uncomfortable as your sinuses and crooked nose were before the surgery, I'm sure!

Before my surgery, I had headaches almost every night. I'd have sneezing/allergy fits every day, multiple times a day, which would make my nose clog up completely. I still have allergies, but my nose only gets blocked now if I have a bad cold. No more headaches either unless I'm actually sick..

Yea, they are plastic tubes with a stitch going through them. I've been using a saline sinus rinse squirt bottle about 8 times a day to flush out all the nasty. I just had chronic sinusitis. Seemed like over the past few years it only got worse. Like my sinuses were growing shut. It was to the point where I sounded sick and nasal even when I was not sick. I've been feeling extremely fatigued over the past few years also. If this take care of that, I'll practically be a whole new person.

UPDATE: Had my follow up and stents removed. WOW! What a difference! This is the way I have felt I was supposed to have been able to breathe my whole life AND it's not even completely healed yet. SOO glad I had this done!

Archived