LegacyGT.com

Anyone have this problem? 2005 Legacy 2.5GT

melayout hit it right on the head. mine only occurs during moderate accel (30% or so). If I go WOT, the car shifts fine. I would rule out ATF, being that my car is only 3mo old and has roughly 5K miles on it.

I would describe the shock & shaking as a feeling of something not engaging properly. Like if you had a manual trans with a warped clutch. You'd let out the clutch and the car would shake and vibrate as a result of the clutch not properly engaging with the flywheel.

Our problem feels a bit like that - except it only happens with the 2nd-3rd shift and we have automatic trans.

Actually, subaruowner840 mine occurs at any throttle position between partial throttle and full throttle, I just used these 2 points as an example.

Especially at WOT, the 2nd->3rd shift is violent and disturbing as opposed to your smooth/fine shift.

I keed I keeed

When I rode with the Tech, using the Subaru Select Monitor we narrowed it down to the engagement of the torque converter lockup clutch that always occurs on the 2nd->3rd shift.

Did'nt the tech think this was unusual? The torque converter lockup is not supposed to engage at the gear shift. The lockup should only occur when cruising at light or moderate engine loading. Having the TC lock up on a shift would be the worse than dumping the clutch on a manual transmission.

I would have to agree Slickvic. The tech should of made a note to at least look into it, talk to a engineer, something! It could be as simple as them re-flash the trans module. That would probably take time to do that though, remap-ect. The TC is electric, controlled via trans module- based off of many sensor values to control it. I havent had that problem--10k. So Ill see what happens. I think 4 everyone with the problem, u should be on Subaru's ass. If it doesnt get fixed it will definitly damage something, & not just the tranny! The bad part is when something does happen the car might be out of warranty! So at least go and have notes done, work order or some kind of evidence that shows u took it in for that complaint. Multiple times, multiple people, in or out of warranty- they should take care of it! Recall?

I have the same symptoms as melayout. I notice it more between 1/2 and WOT. I'll have to see what my dealership has to say when I get a chance. They're pretty good to me even after I was a big PITA for them with my '05 WRX. I've established with them that there's no BS when I say I have a problem. We'll see this time around......

SlickVic - I remembered that before that issue I always experienced a drop in RPMS on the highway while accelerating, which I attributed to the TC locking up. So I took the car for a drive today to try to replicate that on the highway and I never saw that drop in RPM. So it looks like you could be right. I will bring it up to the tech and district rep and hopefully we can test another LGT so we can compare. Thanks again.
I keed I keeed

• 1 month later...
No it still seems to do it. I've recently noticed it is more likely to happen after taking a turn. I think it might have something to do with the limited slip rear differential or center diff. I think it might not be a problem in the sense of something breaking or faulty rather just a problem in that it's annoying.

• 8 months later...

Yup, they finally fixed it for good.

Had to open up the tranny and change the low range sun gear.

They said it was worn out. If the 5EAT automatically rev-matched on downshifts, I don't think this would have a been an issue.

I keed I keeed

Yup, they finally fixed it for good.

Had to open up the tranny and change the low range sun gear.

They said it was worn out. If the 5EAT automatically rev-matched on downshifts, I don't think this would have a been an issue.

Did you do a lot of "manual" downshifting with your 5EAT, or are you talking about rev-matching in normal auto mode?

• 3 months later...

Update! I was the original post to this discussion. I recently had my 30K service done which involved draining (not flushing) the AT fluid. So far so good. No more shuttering or shaking. If it starts up again I would consider a flush of the fluid and maybe a good AT fluid additive.

Based on what I experienced and the results of changing fluid I can assume my shuttering and shaking was do to the AT fluid.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived