LegacyGT.com

Towing with a First Gen...

Hey there, new to this group - absolutely fantastic resource. I have a few questions (and musings) about towing a trailer with a 90 Legacy LS wagon.

First question...has anyone done it?? I've been researching for a while and saw some positive "this car can totally do it!" type posts, but nothing with any specific experience to back it up (so far). I want to tow a small camper because I'm a freakin nomad but I'm also getting too old to keep sleeping in the back of the Suby itself. ;)

So here's what I'm thinking so far: depending on how possible this whole endeavor is, I'm thinking I'll at least have to beef up my brakes, (as well as have brakes on the trailer), maybe beef up my suspension (needs work anyway), and oh yeah, fix the aggravating mysterious engine power issue that I've been having since forever. The car runs fine, never lets me down or strands me, but I find that at the most RANDOM ASS times, I'll be going uphill and I have to shift down to stay at 60 when at other times on the SAME hill I can fly up in 5th at 75 no problem. Annoying!

What else do I have to consider to make my dreams of being able to sleep in relative comfort on the road come true? Or am I doomed to lumpy backseat living for all time? (Please just assume, for the purpose of this post, that I'm insane and really committed to keeping this car.)

Thanks folks!

I can't find any information on the first generation Legacy's but their under-pinnings are fairly similar to the second generations.

The owner's manual for the second gens don't suggest towing at all with the Legacy's but if you do, the auto is rated at 2000lbs total (trailer + load) and the 5-speed is rated at 1000lbs total. Both can support a 300lbs tongue weight. It's recommended that you put on a trans cooler on the auto.

I'm not sure what a small camper will weigh but I don't think it'll be easy or safe to do so. I pull my utility trailer all over the province hauling a wide assortment of things and weights which puts about 700-1200lbs behind the car. The Legacy's don't have enough weight to be very stable over bumps, dips, and slants in the road and power is lacking for any sustained incline. If you have a very light, aerodynamic trailer this may work but stick within the rated limits as anything over it is really squirrelly.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/NhanMan/Subaru/IMG_0066_zpseddftsaz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had any issues towing with my Subaru. It has enough power to pull my fully loaded raft trailer over the passes, I may be in third on some of the steepest grades but I'm still passing the 18 wheelers.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff294/tomrefried/tietonrally2008074.jpg~original

Archived