LegacyGT.com

Lgt spec b suspension?

98LegOB

Hey guys (and gals) just hoping you could school me and straighten out a few things for me. I have searched and came up with a little bit of what I wanted, but most of what I found was about Jdm Bilsteins.

From what I have found so far, 'Usdm Gt' uses Kyb, 'Jdm Gt' uses Bilstein. 'Usdm Gt spec B' uses same Bilsteins as 'Jdm Gt'. 'Jdm spec B' uses different Bilsteins than the others.

BUT what I cant seem to find is if the Usdm Gt specB(and Jdm Gt) Bilstein struts are Bilstein B6 Hd or some other Bilstein (better/worse?)

Also couldnt really find spring rates except for some aftermarket springs.

Are oem Usdm Gt spec B springs firmer than usdm Gt? Are Jdm spec B springs firmer than Usdm spec B springs?

Thanks everybody!

Yes but I only found like one not-so-sure sentence about the Bilstein HD's hidden in paragraphs about about Jdm Gt and Spec B.

Im not really interested in the Jdm Gt/spec B struts, just looking to see if there is a difference between Usdm 06-08ish Gt spec B Bilsteins and Bilstein HD's sold for the Usdm Gt and Spec B.

Also didnt see anything about usdm Gt spring rates vs usdm Spec B spring rates and Jdm spec b spring rates.

Would I need the "Jdm" top hats to put Bilstein HD's on a Gt? Or are the "jdm" top hats only needed with Jdm spec B Bilsteins?

Well after some more research, it seems like the usdm 2.5Gt sedan Bilstein Hd's are noticeably firmer or higher damped than the stock usdm spec B Bilsteins, which is good to hear. Would I need the spec B specific top hat to put the Bilstein Hd on a 2.5Gt? Or is that only for Jdm spec B Bilsteins on a 2.5Gt? Is there a firmer spec B top hat like a Group N spec B top hat?

Are usdm spec B springs firmer than usdm 2.5Gt springs? Are Jdm spec B springs firmer than usdm spec B springs?

I am looking for a firmer spring to go wit Bilstein Hd's that will not lower the 2.5Gt much, if at all. Not looking to use Jdm spec B Bilsteins or stock usdm spec B Bilsteins, but maybe Jdm spec B springs if they are firmer than usdm and a better match with Bilstein Hd's. If not, are Jdm 2.0Gt "sti pink" springs the best bet?

Pinks will probably be what I'd go with if I cant find any info on the stock springs. I'd really like to know if stock spec B springs are firmer than stock Gt, and if jdm spec B springs are firmer than usdm. Spring rates for each would be awesome!

Would I need the specific spec B top hats to use Bilstein Hd's on a Gt? Is there an uprated spec B top hat like GroupN?

I was considering HD's and pinks at first. From what I understand, the HD's were designed with greater dampening and specifically designed to pair better with the USDM spec B stock springs. So yes, they require the same top hats that the USDM spec B uses.

Many people have noted that the HD's and pinks result in a very stiff, harsh ride but I have never personally ridden on them. There are a lot of posts on this site saying as much though. In addition to the sticky, I found this post to be helpful when I was considering Bilsteins:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214900

Many of the site vendors, who do installs, highly recommend the Koni's instead. The ride is supposed to be more comfortable than the HD's while being a great improvement over stock for controlling body roll and squat. Popular springs to pair with them would be Eibach/Epic, Swift, or H&R, depending on the ride height you are looking for. I don't know if you looked into those yet or are really wanting HD's.

I had trouble finding actual spring rate data myself. I'm not really even sure which ones are linear or progressive. Given that tweaks to spring rates, dampening, mass, geometry, and tires all have an impact on how the suspension performs and feels, I ended up just reading a lot about people's experiences and went with what I thought sounded closest to what I was shooting for.

Pinks will probably be what I'd go with if I cant find any info on the stock springs. I'd really like to know if stock spec B springs are firmer than stock Gt, and if jdm spec B springs are firmer than usdm. Spring rates for each would be awesome!

Would I need the specific spec B top hats to use Bilstein Hd's on a Gt? Is there an uprated spec B top hat like GroupN?

Yes, you need the Spec.B tophats for the Bilstein HDs. I have the HDs and the Spec.B top hats on my Outback.

I am not sure if there is an uprated GroupN tophat.

Ride harshness is entirely subjective. I run pinks and HDs on my Spec B. The ride is much firmer than the OEM 120K mile USDM Spec B stuff.

I so still have my OEM Spec B spring and struts, but, I do not have the resources currently to test the spring rates unfortunately.

Yes, USDM Spec B tophats will be needed for the front struts if you go the Bilstein route. I don't recall for sure, but I don't think the rears are specific so be sure to investigate that.

Cool, thanks for the top hat info!

Would still really like to know usdm 2.5Gt, usdm spec B, and jdm spec B spring rates. I'd really like a good amount firmer but not much lower.

Which jdm Sti pink springs would lower a usdm 2.5Gt the least? 2.0gt sedan a/t? 2.0gt sedan m/t? Spec B sedan? Anyone know springs rates of each?

• 1 month later...

Are usdm Spec B springs firmer than usdm Gt springs? Are Jdm Spec B springs firmer than usdm Spec B springs? I'd really like firmer springs that dont lower the Gt sedan that much.

Which jdm Sti Pink springs would lower a usdm 2.5Gt sedan the LEAST? 2.0Gt sedan a/t? 2.0Gt sedan m/t? Spec B sedan? What are the spring rates of each? I would really like noticeably firmer springs, but no to very little drop.

Hopefully paired with Bilstein Hd struts and Spec B top hats. Anyone know of an upgraded stiffer Spec B top hat? Like a Group N Spec B top hat or anything?

• 6 months later...
Hey guys (and gals) just hoping you could school me and straighten out a few things for me. I have searched and came up with a little bit of what I wanted, but most of what I found was about Jdm Bilsteins.

From what I have found so far, 'Usdm Gt' uses Kyb, 'Jdm Gt' uses Bilstein. 'Usdm Gt spec B' uses same Bilsteins as 'Jdm Gt'. 'Jdm spec B' uses different Bilsteins than the others.

BUT what I cant seem to find is if the Usdm Gt specB(and Jdm Gt) Bilstein struts are Bilstein B6 Hd or some other Bilstein (better/worse?)

Also couldnt really find spring rates except for some aftermarket springs.

Are oem Usdm Gt spec B springs firmer than usdm Gt? Are Jdm spec B springs firmer than Usdm spec B springs?

Thanks everybody!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160730/793f651942de8939ddf85b90498ab72f.png

Middle sentence in picture. Usdm and Jim are identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived