LegacyGT.com

No crank with key but cranks with jumper wire.

I swear as soon as I get one thing fixed on this another things goes...:spin:

I have a 1997 2.2 wagon automatic trans. I've replaced starter, cables, battery, and ignition switch but yet I still get no crank. But I can jump a wire from the pos side of battery to the spaded terminal with the key in "ON" and the car will start.

What am I missing?

Well I did so poking around with a voltmeter and found that I'm not getting anything at the spaded terminal going to the starter but I'm getting something coming out of the ignition switch.

So I'm thinking neutral safety switch or wiring between the ignition switch-neutral safety switch-starter spaded connection?

Maybe a dirty connection on the safety switch?

I tried wiring a relay in the starting system but that didn't do anything when I turn the key but when I put 12V to the signal in side of the relay it will start the car.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your ignition switch is fried. Sometime they just stop being able to read the chip in the key, or end up failing.

It happened in my Mitsubishi Lancer a few years ago. Would work intermitently and then one day just stopped working all together.

To solve the issue, rather than just replacing the ignition switch, we installed a "push button" under the dash that I could reach. You still had to have the key in and turned to on position, but it was a great fix.

If you are interested I can chat with the friend that helped me and see what exactly he did to make the hookup work but as far as I can remember it was just about completing the circuit connection to the ignition switch with a constant power (like you did when you jumped it from the battery).

Well I've checked with a multimeter at the ignition switch and it reads fine and brand new. I also just checked the neutral safety switch with the meter too and I'm getting continuity where I'm supposed to be....

I've also cleaned the connections on the neutral safety harnesses.

Archived