LegacyGT.com

A positive vote for the stock tires

andyo

Okay, first of all I'm an idiot and not the most careful driver in the world, but I have to give the stock RE92 tires some credit for saving my wheels from a hideous curbing this morning. I cut a corner a little too sharp and caught the right rear wheel on the apex of the curb, hard enough to actually shift the back end of the car a bit. After my heart started beating again I pulled over to check the damage and perhaps beat my forehead against the nearest pole. To my utter amazement the subtle ridge next to the tire bead did an amazing job of protecting the rim and the only damage I suffered was a tiny little nick on the outer edge of the rim, perhaps 5mm in diamater max. I then kissed all four tires and promised to never ever do that again. I've definitely felt a need for more grip while driving agressively and I've been thinking about replacing the stockers pretty soon, along with some new wheels. But having now been given a second chance by the RE92's I'd like to know if any other, better performing tires have the same protection built into the sidewalls. Does anyone know? I don't intend to bash my wheels against stuff but I do paralel-park quite often and the probability of curbing my wheels is fairly high, however I definitely want better performing wheels and tires. I want my cake and I want to eat it too. Do other tires incorporate this rim-saving feature?

Rim protection is nice on tires, but the RE-92's still suck :) It was wet out this morning and I could deffinetly feel these tires loosing grip much quicker then my old Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. If you take a corner and give it just a little quick tug on the wheel to make it a little sharper you will feel all the tires loose their grip. They do work decently well in the winter though from what I remember with my WRX, so I will keep them on for awhile then I will be buying some new wheels and tires for next summer.

Archived