LegacyGT.com

My V8 Legacy on track at California Speedway

It was fast! It sounds great! The power steering reservoir exploded! :eek:

Can't wait to get back out there and try it again. :lol:

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t498/bunnv1/LS2BARU/aaa%20speedway%20november%2015_zpsbends69i.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t498/bunnv1/LS2BARU/aaa%20speedway%201%20november%2015_zpstoskzsag.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t498/bunnv1/LS2BARU/11260696_10153592970169471_1135624311039276295_o_zpsjfgupxx0.jpg

What happened to the power steering reservoir? I can see the Go-Pro in the picture where is the video :D

The reservoir burst open right under the large hose and sprayed the fluid all over the exhaust manifold. I thought the car caught fire because there was so much smoke! I only got in 4 laps when that happened so the video is not great, but I'll put it up anyway.

Stay tuned....

Sorry the sound is out of sync. You can really tell when you see me miss a gear...badly! Believe it or not, the R8 was holding me up but I didn't fill his mirrors up enough to force a pass. I was just starting to get comfortable in the car when my power steering reservoir exploded. The car worked way better than I expected, I'm very happy with it. A pro driver could probably do some damage to some egos with my old wagon!

Car looks great on the track!

And like jmills, I'd love to know how the suspension felt under heavy use

I have to admit that the suspension was the main thing I was worried about on the track. Obviously I've never driven the car as fast on street as I would be on the track. On the street it's really easy to hang the tail out whether I'm trying to or not. So my concerns were excessive oversteer and high speed stability.

Fortunately the car felt surprisingly planted on the track! It does have auto level but to make sure everything was aligned square, I would air out the suspension then manually raise it up- (both front wheels together, both back wheels together. I've found it IMPOSSIBLE to do it one wheel at a time)- to a height where I knew it wouldn't rub on full lock but still be as low as possible.

The result was neutral handling and very good high speed stability. My car still has the stock Legacy steering rack so the steering is pretty slow. I think that helped with stability, it's just not ideal for tight quick corners.

Since the vast majority of real racecars still use coilovers and not air, it's safe to say that air is not the best setup for the track, but, it was very good for my skill level and application. I had no trouble going over the speed bumps when I left the track to go home!

I've ordered a new power steering pump and a billet aluminum reservoir to replace the crappy stock plastic one the failed. As soon as I get it back together, I'm going straight back to the track and try again.

I have to admit that the suspension was the main thing I was worried about on the track. Obviously I've never driven the car as fast on street as I would be on the track. On the street it's really easy to hang the tail out whether I'm trying to or not. So my concerns were excessive oversteer and high speed stability.

The result was neutral handling and very good high speed stability. My car still has the stock Legacy steering rack so the steering is pretty slow. I think that helped with stability, it's just not ideal for tight quick corners.

I've ordered a new power steering pump and a billet aluminum reservoir to replace the crappy stock plastic one the failed. As soon as I get it back together, I'm going straight back to the track and try again.

Thanks for the info. Have you looked into any of the Whiteline suspension goodies? I started changing up some of mine with their bushings. Switching out the sway bar endlinks was one of the most dramatic changes for suspension i've experienced. Body roll was significantly decreased and turn in felt much more responsive. Probably extra noticeable with air ride.

Think there is a whiteline steering column bushing replacement that is supposed to help with response too.

Thanks for the info. Have you looked into any of the Whiteline suspension goodies? I started changing up some of mine with their bushings. Switching out the sway bar endlinks was one of the most dramatic changes for suspension i've experienced. Body roll was significantly decreased and turn in felt much more responsive. Probably extra noticeable with air ride.

Think there is a whiteline steering column bushing replacement that is supposed to help with response too.

I have not, but thanks for the tip! The steering column bushing sound especially intriguing. A project car's build is never ending.

Did You ever figure out the cause of the resevoir explosion?

Did You ever figure out the cause of the resevoir explosion?

It didn't actually explode. It's basically a plastic jar that is mounted very close to the cylinder head. Over time it gets brittle from the engine heat and it cracks. I bought a trick aluminum tank instead of a stock plastic one. I should have the car back together soon. All I need now are hoses. My new pump arrived yesterday.

• 2 years later...

Archived