LegacyGT.com

Which EJ22 do i have?

Hi, first post hope someone can help. I have a VW T25 camper van with an EJ22 engine. My local mechanic struggles to find correct parts as we don't know what car it came from or year it is. Is there an easy way to tell the model and year it came from? I'll add some pictures later, thanks in advance!

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, currently we need a new oil sump (leaking) and he tells me the pulleys and idlers for the timing belt are a bit crusty (also no covers). I was trying to work out if its an early one that is non-interference, if so I guess I can leave that until it breaks down the line...

i wish there was a way to check the numbers on it. to my knowledge all of the ej series motor are interferance. if the belt jumps or breaks the valves bend and pistons could damage.

you might want to find a cover if you can. keep the timing components a little more out the elements. even though its not on the front of the vehicle it could still get junk in it.

do you mean oil sump? like the oil pan or oil pump? you can usually just take the pump off and reseal it. same with the pan.

with this swap im pretty sure you have a different pan. its more expensive too so i would definatly try to reseal it if at all possible. unless the threads for the plug are buggered up.

• 2 weeks later...
to my knowledge all of the ej series motor are interferance. if the belt jumps or breaks the valves bend and pistons could damage.

I don't know about the rest, but this is wrong.

http://www.scoobyenthusiast.com/subaru-faq/which-subaru-engines-are-interference-what-subaru-engines-are-non-interference/

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Archived