LegacyGT.com

Ageing Leggie - Should I Up The Octane?

Hey everyone,

My question is with just over 104K miles is putting higher octane fuel beneficial for longevity?

In the US we have 3 grades usually with varying names depending on the company.

- Low-grade / Regular (about 87)

- Mid-grade / Plus (about 89)

- High-grade / Premium (91 to 93 usually)

I have been putting the unleaded / regular grade fuel since I got it. But should I up to Mid-grade? And could it possibly help?

I 08 Legacy 2.5i NA (named Christian). I'm the second owner and just put my first 1000 miles on her and took her in for her first oil change. I'm a computer guy... so this car stuff is new to me.

Thanks [emoji3]

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

nope. engine won't be able to notice it, neither will you. only thing that will is your wallet.

no need to up the octane unless you hear it ping... unlikely. you could however get a tune for higher octane to get more power and take advantage of advanced timing... but thats besides the point

What shawn said.

Also, if it hasn't been done, your timing belt is due for a change at 105k miles. Possibly why the previous owner traded as this is a pretty big service. Find a local Subaru independent shop that you can trust and get the pulleys and water pump replaced while the front of the engine is apart.

What shawn said.

Also, if it hasn't been done, your timing belt is due for a change at 105k miles. Possibly why the previous owner traded as this is a pretty big service. Find a local Subaru independent shop that you can trust and get the pulleys and water pump replaced while the front of the engine is apart.

Previous owner took it in for timing belt change at 101K. Not sure if they replaced those parts. Will have to look at records.

nope. engine won't be able to notice it, neither will you. only thing that will is your wallet.

no need to up the octane unless you hear it ping... unlikely. you could however get a tune for higher octane to get more power and take advantage of advanced timing... but thats besides the point

Does that put the vehicle at risk or make it last a shorter amount of time?

As tempting as it might be, I wouldn't touch the tune. I only see the potential for more harm than good from messing with the tune. Being a non-turbo like me, I would just drive the car and enjoy it. I've always used 87 octane with no issue, and currently have around 182k on my legacy. Every 20k-30k I'll try to run a bottle of red line si-1 (http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=60103), but that's about the only thing I've ever done to my fuel system.

With regard to the original question, I agree with legacyshawn. Zero benefit from using a higher octane in a car that doesn't call for it. I try to buy top tier gas when possible, but it's not something I worry too much about.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

Archived