LegacyGT.com

Which exhaust to get?

subawooo

I have an 05 LGT and im looking into upgrading my exhaust. I was thinking about a cattless up pipe, cattles down pipe and a cat back. I want some performance and that nice subie rumble as well. should I worry about the headers and mid pipe? also what are the benefits of each components. do's and dont's im new to the exhaust game, thanks.

Aloha Suba,

Hmmmm exhausts. Tb quite honest, nothing beats a fine-crafted straight pipe made from scratch! But resources and trust in engineering is quite difficult to find these days. If you have no means in considering other's nostril senses and bronchials, then go straight-pipe!

Yes, get a catless UP because the 05 and 06 come catted. You will free up much needed flow to your turbine and also expedite the time between spools to ~200-300 RPMs sooner. Not to mention your turbine comes quite audible (Like a small diesel truck)

As for DPs, you can go catted High-Flow Dp, Invidia is a reputable brand along with (My Favorite) GrimmSpeed. They both come either catted or catless. Catted you you will ease out drone making it appealing to sit within you're leather-rich interior all the more enjoyable while talking stories with your passengers. Catless will always yield better gains to HP and more grumble from both your car and drivers behind you. You may get rasp though depending on the type of Cat-back exhaust you go with.

As for Catbacks, we are semi limited but all come with a resonator unless you remove them and custom weld test pipes. Invidia makes a beautiful exhaust for our cars. makes they a dual-tipped twin exits called Q300. They also (I think) make a single exit N1 version to get that nice signature rumble that is associated with most other Subarus you hear out there. Nameless Performance make axle-backs if you intend to keep your stock exhaust but wish to free up the rumble and they come either muffler or mufflerless. HKS Ti is a rare make for our cars and sounds alright. Just search YouTube with various exhaust notes you wish to hear on our legacys. Hopefully you find the right one that makes you smile every cold start.

Aloha

Kai

Catless uppipe and a catted downpipe. If you have some extra funds, try getting a GESi OBDII compliant cat (Vibrant) welded in by a custom fab shop. I have the Grimmspeed one and it is a very well made unit and I would recommend it over the Invidia because they made it exceptionally tool friendly versus the cast bellmoth designs.

Catless downpipe doesn't get you any real horsepower over a catted one (1? 5? HP). The smell is terrible, not to mention the increased emissions...

Exhaust systems from the cat back are personal preference. I like the stock pipe, but the Stromung is a great one if you can get one used (that was made right - big clusterf in the later units). TurboXS is a good setup as well.

Also, I assume you know by now that you need a tune as well. Look at the VAG-com cable and e-tuning options.

Invidia >> CNT. I have had a CNT catted and a Invidia catless. The CNT gets pitted and rusty pretty quick and is a general PITA to bolt on - the lower nut regularly loosened up since it was almost impossible to properly torque it down.

Thx for the info. Looks like I'll need to keep adding to the piggybank...

Do you know of any good fab shops in DE/PA/MD area? I'm in PA.

Just got mine done at Gehman Exhaust in Mohnton, PA.

EDIT: Just saw what you need done. I can't comment on their ability to do that. They did a custom catback for me.

Archived