LegacyGT.com

17 or 18" Rim

Jeenyus2112

Background:

Own a 07 Spec B. Car came with 215/50/17 winter tires/rims and the OEM Rims 215/45/18. I am in need of new winter tires, my thought is to put winters on the 18s and in the summer get Drag DR-31 (cause Im cheap :lol:) or something similar.

My question is will I lose a lot of performance by running the 18s in the winter. The tire guy I have talked to has said I have to run 225/40/18 if I want the Hakka R2's. Or would it be better to run the 215/50/17s for winter and just store my Spec B rims?

Thanks for the insight.

Connor

run the smallest rim you can for the winter -17" rims. more comfort and better pothole absorption. Im not sure what kind of performance you think you might lose, but if its grip you are concerned with, tire construction, tread design and compound matter more than size. So as long as you run a winter tire, you will get the best performance regardless of size.

Yea performance was the wrong word. I mean winter tire performance I guess, IE: grip etc.

So the question is: Is the difference between a 18" and a 17" winter tire huge in terms of grip, ride quality. If I want to go with new rims for summer, I don't want to have another set of rims sitting in my garage, but not really sure I would want to sell the OEM Spec B rims either.

• 3 weeks later...

My advice (I'm a wheel/tire whore):

Put new winters on the 17's. You'll probably save a few bucks this way, too.

Put your OEM 18's in a corner and save for when you sell the car.

Buy new 18's in the spring/summer that fit your tastes.

Archived