LegacyGT.com

More toe adjustment range than the stock cam bolts can provide?

TiagoSantos

Hey folks - swapped the LGT suspension onto my OBXT (struts/springs/upper control arms in the rear). Had it aligned and everything worked out well except rear toe - I have 0.35deg toe out on both sides.

The alignment shop says they'll take another look (they sent me on my way and I only figured it out when I looked at the print out later) but there's a good chance one side was maxxed out and they just made the other one the same.

If that's the case, other than the $$$ whiteline KTA124 kit, are there any other creative ways to getting a bit more range on the adjusters? The alignment shop says they can get bolts that provide +-1.5deg of toe adjustment, but didn't know how much range the OEM bolts provide so we have no idea if these would be any better.

Any thoughts?

Can you post the alignment printout? Have you checked the shape of the rear eccentric bolt and washers? It could be that the adjustment hardware is slipping and can't get the full range of adjustment. When I did the same swap on my dad's OBXT, we also had to add the whiteline camber adjustable bushing set to the rear upper control arms. The rear wheels were going into positive camber over bumps, it was undrivable on snow and ice.

I'll snap a picture tonight. Off the top of my head, front is 0.00 toe on both sides and 0.1 camber (which.. well, fine for now). Caster is around 5.6-5.9 can't remember exactly.

Rear is around -1.0/-1.1 camber and 0.35 both sides for toe. Thrust angle is 0.

I have not looked at the rear eccentric bolt/washers yet, haven't had a chance to take the wheels off (from memory, I don't think they're visible with the wheels on, on the ground at least?)..

Yeah, I've read a bunch of posts from folks who did the same swap and I was expecting rear camber to be a problem, not toe. I even ordered a set of the whiteline rear camber bushings (KCA399) but they were going to take a while to arrive so I figured it'd be worth checking what the alignment was at.

They can source these which provide +-1.5deg of toe adjustment. Does anyone the range on the OEM bolts?

http://www.spcalignment.com/component/spc/?task=part_description&pid=67667&region=USA&make=Subaru&model=Outback&year=2000%20-%202009&from=USAFrom&to=USATo

You don't need the wheels off. The rear toe adjustment bolts are located by the rear differential. Also check all bushings while you are under the car. My car has had a similar issue that one side of the rear couldn't be adjusted anywhere close to 0. Took the car to the dealer, they couldn't figure out what was wrong either. I ended up buying the KTA124 kit and aligned the car myself with smart strings.

Have you taken your car to dale's alignment? They can probably tell you exactly what's wrong.

Archived