LegacyGT.com

Craftsman made in China now? Seriously?!?

DrD123

Old news, I suppose - apparently they switched over back in 2012 for a portion of their hand tools. I needed some additional socket extensions and picked up a set of 9 only to see they were missing the "made in the USA" stamp - figured I had been duped and got some knockoffs, but as it happens, they are legitimate, and Craftsman now makes sockets, socket extensions, box wrenches, etc. in China - some look to be pretty comparable, but others (box wrenches in particular) are noticeably lower quality. I don't tend to break too many tools (have three items in the queue at the moment - an 3/8" x 10" extension, snap ring pliers, and a screwdriver) - sad to hear I'll be getting something other than what I had (which did break, so there's that...) - hopefully quality hasn't fallen off much.

I guess it's to be expected with Sears recent financial difficulties, but it's disappointing to see. Wonder if the professional line has gone overseas as well?

Sad thing is the product numbers didn't change when they switched from USA production to made in China...

They have really went down hill. I bought one of those little 8mm box end ratchets about 15 years ago. About 5 years later I broke the ratcheting mechanism so I took it back, the guy went to the back and got me a brand new one. When he came out he gave me the brand new wrench and took my broken one. I got about half way out of the store and the guy chased me down and stopped me to tell me the replacement one he gave me was matte finished and the one I gave him was polished finish. He said the polished finish ones are a dollar more new than the matte ones and he accidentally gave me the wrong one and very apologetically gave me a polished finish one. I laughed a little and thanked him for going the extra mile, being as I doubt I would of ever noticed the difference.

Fast forward to two years ago.....I break the same wrench (I use it a lot at work). So I take it back to the same Sears. Girl at the tool counter gets out a box of "refurbished" wrenches and gives me one. I have a WTF moment and she tells me they no longer give out new replacement on the lifetime warranty, they give out refurbished ones. I get about half way out the store and realize the "refurbished" wrench she gave me is actually completely seized and will not turn in either direction. I go back to the counter and start bitching. She gets out the box of "refurbished" wrenches and gives me another, this one is pitted all to hell and obviously was rusted all to shit when it was returned. At this point I'm no longer my usually soft and cuddly self.....on to wrench number 3, it only turns one way.....wrench number 4, turns really hard.......number 5, finally we have a winner. The entire time she just huffs and sighs and never once apologizes for the poor quality "refurbished" crap. Needless to say me and Craftsman aren't on as good of terms as we used to be.

thankfully, I haven't broken anything with moving parts yet... I usually end up breaking socket extensions or adapters trying to remove stuck bolts... (in my current crop, the snap ring pliers had one of the tips snap off and the screwdriver had the metal part come out of the handle, then the socket extension while undoing the fill plug for the transmission on our van (which was just replaced)) - I haven't gone in for quite a while, but last time I did they just had me go get the part off the shelf... we'll see what they do this time around next time I head in.

I guess I'll have to jump brands if I have a ratchet die... currently have the thin profile, high tooth count ones that they started selling a decade or so ago - they are great, so I hope they don't fail!

Well - went in this morning to replace tools - they had me just pull stuff off the shelves, so the extension went from USA -> China (noticeable difference in quality - the wobble part was smooth/polished on the old one, but not on the new one - has machining grooves in it, etc. - nice stress risers, so I am guessing this won't last long), snap ring pliers went from USA -> Taiwan (looked about the same - handle treatment is actually nicer), and the screwdriver stayed USA (maybe they still have old stock?) - looked on the shelves and saw almost nothing USA made for ratchets, etc. - the nice, polished low profile ones are no longer made in the USA, either... doesn't mean they won't work well, but sometimes it's nice to be patriotic and buy American...

off subject but a company called all-clad out of PA which used to make high quality pots and pans outsources as well.. i called out a lady at williams sonoma where the tag said made in the usa but clearly stamped on the metal made in china. now, i realize its not her fault but i like others bought certain brands etc including craftsman because of where they are from. i guess i cant be a hypocrite, i do own a subaru.

for vehicles, it's hard to find things with a really high domestic content - the legacy isn't horrible at 40% domestic content (for 2012, anyway) with 35% from Japan (engine and transmission) then I am guessing mexico and probably some stuff made in China or Taiwan. Even the domestic nameplates aren't really high domestic content.

I have traded in many craftsman hand tools to sears. Never got anything but new. Went in there a month or so ago because I stripped a 1/2 inch socket wrench. It came as part of a kit and they couldn't find the same one by itself. So they gave me the entire kit unopened and I gave them my old kit with some rust, grease on the pieces and I was missing the 3/8 10mm and the 1/2 15mm. So I got those back cost free.

Sad to hear they won't be made in the USA anymore.

we stopped buying craftsman a while ago at my friends shop. when the ratchets were breaking, which was way more often than they should, sears was giving us a rebuild kit to do ourselves. not that big a deal, until the rebuild kits started having nylon and plastic pieces for the gearing. how in the world do they expect that to hold up to a real work load? we have snapon tools as well, but some jobs you just dont want to use the really expensive ones. i lose tools so much, i just buy the husky or pittsburg brands, that way i dont feel bad when i break or lose them.

Pittsburg tools from Harbor freight aren't very strong. I have broken many ratchets but they have lifetime trade in as well. So that kind of makes up for it. As long as you don't have to drive 2 hours to get there.

ya, ive toasted a few of them, usually from pushing too hard on them. i do have a set of impact sockets that have lasted for a very long time tho, ive put them to some serious jobs and they have performed well.

Archived