LegacyGT.com

increasing exhaust sound slightly... :D

TiagoSantos

Howdy folks - just fishing for some ideas that don't involve buying an axle back exhaust or removing a cat.. After having a very loud car for a while (old Volvo 740 16v), I'm loving the quietness of the Outback XT. Completely stock exhaust, works fine and the wife loves it :lol:

It's just.. *slightly* too quiet. If the radio or the a/c are on, I can't hear the engine at all. With how light the throttle is, I'm having a hard time with smooth downshifts and even hill starts. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it would certainly help to have just a little bit more engine noise.

I should probably look under the car and see what's what, but is there a resonator or a muffler on the mid pipe that could be deleted? On the scale of 1-5 with 1 being stock and 5 being something like a Borla CBE, what would that do?

research and listening to sound clips will be your best friend. however

id recommend:

Nameless Performance 5in muffler axleback

Reasoning: perfect fitment, amazing tone, not obnoxious, looks great.

Then after the mod bug bits you can go right on to add a DP, midpipe combo and be all set!

I have had (perrin mufflers, muffler deletes, straight pipes, no res, with res, catted and catless.

Oh the mod bug has certainly bit.. But I think I can resist for a good while longer!

I've listened to the exhaust clips on that huge exhaust clip thread.. The Borla is by far the closest to what I'd want. I'd still prefer something halfway (in volume) between stock and the borla. The nameless, even with the 5" muffler seems pretty loud. Which is fine (I was running a straight piped volvo n/a wagon for a while...) but not what I'm looking for this time :)

Hogzaust is intriguing purely by how cheap it is.. I might have to try that haha.

• 2 weeks later...
hogzaust. It costs less than $1. Just did this to my 2009 Forester XT and its good. No need to rush to get a new exhaust setup now.

You will garner the attention of the po-po with this. When an officer sees a stock looking exhaust that sounds louder than it should, the officer may assume that it is broken and/or has a leak.

In PA a legal exhaust contains all emissions control equipment, is free from leaks, and expels exhaust gasses away from the passenger cabin.

Unless you remove the cat, any aftermarket exhaust is legal in PA. There is no regulation on loudness or approved decibel meter for testing said loudness in PA. This may be different in other states.

What IS illegal in PA is to modify the existing exhaust for the sole purpose of increasing noise. Examples include a cutout with butterfly valve and using washers to purposely cause a leak in order to amplify the noise.

Take this for what you will, just trying to save everyone some aggravation an money.

Yes, my exhaust is done and I love it :D

Archived