LegacyGT.com

Shaving Tires

Timothy.B

So, I just took my car into a shop because I've been experiencing some bad wobble on the highway in the front end. They said the left tire is a little off balance but the right one is a lot more off than it should normally be, like 4oz to get it to balance correctly. He said visually the tire seems fine but something appears to be wrong with the tire and would probably need replaced.

Is it possible buy the same brand and size tire and just have them shave it down to the same depth as the other tires? I'm gonna get winters soon but I'd hate to get winter tires then in 5 months be buying another set.

Just buy a pair to replace the front rather than just 1. You can also buy used tires at mechanic shops sometimes. Might not match your brand but if you buy 2 used ones around the same depth as your current set you can replace all 4 when they're eventually due

They balanced both the front tires and it's still shaking pretty decent. Between 50 and 75 on the highway. Once I get to 80 it tapers off a little. A member on here has reported the same issue with the same kind of tires and after a new set it was night and day. Almost time to switch to winters soon and I'll deal with getting another set in the spring.

They balanced both the front tires and it's still shaking pretty decent. Between 50 and 75 on the highway. Once I get to 80 it tapers off a little. A member on here has reported the same issue with the same kind of tires and after a new set it was night and day. Almost time to switch to winters soon and I'll deal with getting another set in the spring.

Sure you didnt bend the rims. The car shakes at those speeds with bent rims.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

No, it's definitely the tires. As soon as the temps went from 40s to almost 80s here in Ohio, the issue was nearly non-existent. I looked the tires up online and owners of Toyota's reported the same issue and switched to different tires. My guess is when they get cold, they don't like being tires anymore.

Sounds like the tires are flat spotting in the colder weather. What tires are you running?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42

Thinking the same thing.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

• 4 weeks later...
So I recently had some Yokohama Iceguards put on from a local time shop and the shaking had mostly gone but was still apparent. Today I took it to the dealership and had them road force balance my tires and all is good! I was hoping some new tires and a proper balance would fix the issue. Loving the new(er) car. Drove my girlfriends Jetta the other day and forgot what FWD was and spun the tires. Don't think I could have anything but AWD after this. Just waiting on some snow. Hear it's coming Sunday.

Archived