LegacyGT.com

Brake calipers Walk-Through ?

BLACKonBLACK Limited

Guest *Jedimaster*
Basically, you take off the wheels, clean the calipers, mask off the important bits, paint the calipers and then use a template to make the logo in a different color.

important - IF you get a spray can to paint your calipers -- Do not spray directly onto the caliper while on the car. you will get overspray on everything, despite how well you tape things off.

SPray it into a plastic cup (not foam, it will dissolve right away) - and then use a small paint brush to do the work.

as far as the subaru logo goes, thier are plenty of people on ebay selling them. Just put down a base coat of the color you want the emblem to be. Let it dry, stick on the decals. Paint the rest of the caliper using the main paint color. (paint right over the decals)

remove the decals, and the first layer of paint should still be there, and hopefully you chose a different color than the top coat.

important - IF you get a spray can to paint your calipers -- Do not spray directly onto the caliper while on the car. you will get overspray on everything, despite how well you tape things off.

SPray it into a plastic cup (not foam, it will dissolve right away) - and then use a small paint brush to do the work.

as far as the subaru logo goes, thier are plenty of people on ebay selling them. Just put down a base coat of the color you want the emblem to be. Let it dry, stick on the decals. Paint the rest of the caliper using the main paint color. (paint right over the decals)

remove the decals, and the first layer of paint should still be there, and hopefully you chose a different color than the top coat.

yep. it'll look better painted on then sprayed too. didn't do the overlays but may do that next spring.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

how long does it take for the caliper paint to dry? I was thinking of painting them while my springs are being installed. They may take to long to dry...don't know.

I waited about 15 minutes between coats -- paint was dry to the touch after 20 minutes. (takes about a day to fully cure though)

Guest *Jedimaster*

It's really easy and the result is great. I love free/inexpensive mods like this. I put mine up on jackstands and just went around to each corner, making sure to give them drying time. They turn out much better if you can let the car sit without driving for 24 hours until the paint is cured.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/cultofthejedi//xtsept05-030.jpg

^ +1

The bottle/box will give you the best guide on the time that each re-coat should occur.

Working time as well as full-cure time should also be indicated.

I actually jackstand all four corners, that way, I can simply do one caliper, and then move on to the next. If I take my time and do things carefully, then by the time I'm done with all four on one pass, I'm ready to start the next round again. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Guest *Jedimaster*
^ +1

The bottle/box will give you the best guide on the time that each re-coat should occur.

Working time as well as full-cure time should also be indicated.

I actually jackstand all four corners, that way, I can simply do one caliper, and then move on to the next. If I take my time and do things carefully, then by the time I'm done with all four on one pass, I'm ready to start the next round again. :)

That's what I was trying to say. Damn muscle relaxers make me loopy :lol:

Mmmmmm, muscle relaxers........

Do you have enough for the entire class? :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I've done this for all my friends and usaly take them off the car and use spay high temp paint. I don't want to go through the pain of bleeding all four brakes. Do they sell high temp paint on cans (non-spray)?

I've done this for all my friends and usaly take them off the car and use spay high temp paint. I don't want to go through the pain of bleeding all four brakes. Do they sell high temp paint on cans (non-spray)?

I'm sure they do, however what i've done on all my cars is just take the spray can, spray a small bit into a cup and use a brush to paint.. just refill the cup as needed. (spray into the cup away from the car, as i'm sure you're aware)

the spraypaint will be much easier to find than in a can -- every automotive store or home depot-ish store has the spraypaint.

I'm sure they do, however what i've done on all my cars is just take the spray can, spray a small bit into a cup and use a brush to paint.. just refill the cup as needed. (spray into the cup away from the car, as i'm sure you're aware)

the spraypaint will be much easier to find than in a can -- every automotive store or home depot-ish store has the spraypaint.

Yea? that doesn't affect the performance of the paint (wear and tear, bond, finish)

Yea? that doesn't affect the performance of the paint (wear and tear, bond, finish)

no, wont' effect it at all... In fact, i think you'll find thats what most people do.

I've put about 5k miles so far on the Mazda doing it this way and they still look good as new.

For the most part, spraypaint is exactly the same as regular paint, just thinned down with propellant added.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Mmmmmm, muscle relaxers........

Do you have enough for the entire class? :lol:

Actually I do! The script is s'posed to last a month, but they hit me so hard I'm biting them in 1/4's :lol:

Archived