LegacyGT.com

speakers or OEM sub?

dkodyl

Have question for people who know - should I go with OEM sub or aftermarket speakers? Wanted sub first but I have LGT 2006 AT with navi and navi takes all the space under the drivers seat. Should I try setup under passenger seat or just go with speakers?

I actually put sound dampening stuff (brown bread...kind of like dynamat) and was amazed at the HUGE amount of difference it made. I was replacing the stock fronts with Infiniti Kappa 60.7's and ended up only running the tweets off the crossover and running the stockers in the door in parallel. I'm not going to switch out the woofers until I run an amp (the Kappa's are 2 Ohm and we didn't think they would do well drawing power off of the stock head unit)...but right now I'm so pleased with the sound I may never go that route. I'm not a huge audiophile and don't have the best ear when it comes to clarity, but it is certainly a step up from stock.

I was fortunate I had the speakers, amp, and EQ out of my WRX's system....now I'm only using the tweets and the crossover.

The sound dampening made a dramatic improvement in bass response. We put a few strips on the inside of the door, some around the stock woofer, and some strips on the door cards. It actually sounds like I have a system now even though the only thing different is the use of the tweets.

You can actually feel the air movement of the woofer now...it's pretty cool.

Mike

http://kanedasrealm.net

Is it possible that by running your new tweets in parellel you effectively halfed the impedance therefore increasing the power your stock mids were originally getting? That could attribute to them sounding better.

Just a thought.

Is it possible that by running your new tweets in parellel you effectively halfed the impedance therefore increasing the power your stock mids were originally getting? That could attribute to them sounding better.

Just a thought.

There is a possibility of that, but when I tested the rear stockers with the doors treated they sounded very different than they did before.

Mike

http://kanedasrealm.net

Heya, I just had 2 10" subs installed today in my LGT... 2x Sony Xplode's, 300watts each, 600watt amp, non-ported box... WOW... HOLY CRAP... it makes your stock stereo system sound 150% better, and then some. I am all for putting sweet speakers instead of stock, but I cant afford it right now... If you have some $ to spend, I would go with Infinity like de Rookie said... In fact, if you can afford it, I would suggest getting a nice set of infinity (2 6 1/2in coax, and 2 6 1/2 mids and a very nice infinity amp to run them, have it all run through the factory unit, then get 1 or 2 10" subs installed, you could even mount them in the side area's of the trunk, I dont know where the thread is... but they have subs mounted in the sides, and it looks pretty sweet.

But I can tell you, just by adding the 2 10" subs like I did today, its an AMAZING difference... its like a complete facelift for the stereo.

As for the stock sub... dont even bother, its not worth the $ to fork out almost $300, when you can get some fairly cheap and decent sounding subs from places like best buy or circuit city... In fact, you can normally buy a complete amp, 2 sub, and box setup from them for around 300ish, and get it installed for about 60, minus the cables... For the cables, go to Wal-Mart, buy the amp wiring system they have there for $40 and have at it... You will notice a world of difference.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Archived