LegacyGT.com

Slight brake grind/noise after pad/rotor replacement

slowurroll

Hey all. Need some input. A few weeks ago I replaced the front rotors and pads on my 05 and everything has been running smoothly overall. However, over the last week or two I have noticed that periodically when driving in the city at slower speeds that when slowing down with slight braking I get what sounds like a grind while depressing the pedal. The sound seems to go away when I release the brake and does not seem to happen under hard braking. I will be replacing the rotors and pads on the rear this weekend but am wondering if anyone has any insight on what to look for on the fronts to get rid of this noise. I was almost wondering if it has to do with the caliper pistons not being applied equally on the pad under soft braking. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Giving this one a bump. Haven't been able to tackle the rear brakes yet but wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. It's driving me crazy.

I'll probably try to inspect the front to see if I can see anything abnormal as far as wear or grinding. Probably check torque and re-grease anything if necessary. But any insight would be helpful.

Due to lack of funds at the time, I had to go a bit cheaper and went with Brakebest Select from O'Reilly. Their site says their a ceramic pad for the front and rears are semi-metallic. But the rears haven't been installed yet. It's possible that the rears are causing the noise but I wasn't able to get the caliper bracket bolts removed on the rear when I attempted today. Even after soaking them in PB. I don't know how I'm going to get those off yet. It will have to wait till next weekend to tackle that and do some more inspecting of the front, unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

Did you check for smooth movement of the caliper guide pins? I had a similar problem, though not right after the change. One of the guide pins was seized.

Under light braking I would get a noise. It would go away under heavier braking or no pedal pressure.

Did you check for smooth movement of the caliper guide pins? I had a similar problem, though not right after the change. One of the guide pins was seized.

Under light braking I would get a noise. It would go away under heavier braking or no pedal pressure.

That might be the case. I will have to consider getting back in there and checking those out. I replaced the guide pins on all 4 calipers due to one of them breaking when replacing the front pads. I did notice that there was stiffness in their movement even with applying new grease.

From what I've read, this is what should be used on the pins: Napa Sil glyde Grease

http://m.napaonline.com/tablet//parts/PartDetails.aspx?Id=BK_7651351_0434860464

Supposedly it doesn't impact the rubber boots, or rubber bushings that one of the pins has. I am going to regrease them when I change wheels out in spring with this stuff as I used regular permatex ultra brake grease this time around

Archived