LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy GT engine compatability

Hello to all and thanks for reading.

I bought a 2008 legacy gt with a completely dead motor. Case, crank, heads cams all dead. Looking for what year cars that would have the same motor as LGT? Not trying to build a race car.

Been reading a lot, most of the info I find is for 05-06 motors.

What I would like to do, would be to swap a complete used motor, longblock or find a good core. Prefer a complete used motor. Also if someone else had the same question they could find all the info in one spot.

Info I have found so far.

2007-2009 Legacy GT all the same motor AB 630 short block AB820 Heads

2006-2008WRX same long block, not sure if complete motor is the same

What year Forester xt or STI longblocks or complete would work, if at all?

EJ 20x Jdm motor will this work ? many for sale some importers say will work some say no?

I know a lot of this has been covered can't seem to find for 2007-2009 specific. If anyone has answers or know where I can find info would be greatly appreciated.:spin:

Best bet is to get a new shortblock from heuberger and start there. Lots of build threads on this site. Putting a used engine in has been found by many to not work out so well in the end and needs to be replaced again after its installed xxx miles later. You never know what you're getting when you buy a used engine and why spend the money twice when you can do it right the first time? Best of luck with your decision! Keep searching here there is alot of info on these engines!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Only downside to piecing together, would be having to buy everything separate. If I got a complete running motor I get all the parts I need in one shot.

If you can find one that you know exactly how many miles are on it before pulled and how well it was taken care of then go for it... but buying a used engine is a gamble that I wouldn't risk taking with how much these motors run and the amount of time involved. I would do it right the first time is all I'm saying

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

If you can find one that you know exactly how many miles are on it before pulled and how well it was taken care of then go for it... but buying a used engine is a gamble that I wouldn't risk taking with how much these motors run and the amount of time involved. I would do it right the first time is all I'm saying

This.

When I had the same logic of "get my DD back on the road ASAP cheaply as possible" I wasn't able to find much at the time. It was blown engines just like mine or higher mileage engines marked "never tested if ran before pulled". If you are hard set with this way, make sure you can find some kind of warranty in the event lightning strikes the same car twice.

• 3 years later...
Thank you everyone and the forum, for all the help,i learned so much.i ended up finding,5miles away,. a low mile complete plug and play motor and trans on the forum for 2k. Only used the motor. So now i have a spare trans, and complete dead motor worth of stuff, incase something breaks down the road. This car is great drives so smooth,loving the boost.

Archived