LegacyGT.com

Squeeky Steering Wheel and gearbox???

V-Power

Anyone got a squeeky steering wheel? As I turn the wheel from a stop, you can hear the squeek. Now I live in Texas which has been hot, hot, hot. Perhaps the heat is causing this but I noticed this after my recent alignment, too.

Now when I shift, the gearbox squeeks, too. Again, perhaps the heat is causing this. But with only 4k miles, it's a bit disappointing to have the car squeek and creak as I turn the wheel and shift gears! :(

Hum....

Are you getting a squeak from the clutch pedal? Now that's actually somewhat common with 5MT LGTs. Search a bit for "clutch squeak" or "clutch noise," and you should find some good threads with possible solutions detailed. :)

But if you're getting a squeak from the shifter area, I'd almost think that maybe the heat has caused your leather to lose some pliability, and that maybe conditioning the leather boot around the shift lever can help?

As for the steering wheel, the only thing I can think of that would produce any squeaking during turning would be the roll connector. Maybe it's rubbing a bit inside, or maybe it needs to be re-greased. If you have a steering wheel puller, and don't mind getting into this yourself, it's actually a very easy disassembly/re-assembly:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15958&page=4&pp=10&highlight=steering - in post number 36, I detail this disassembly.

However, if you don't have a puller, or are unwilling to tackle this disassembly (due to presence of the airbag and/or discomfort in potentially needing to pull the roll connector - which I had trouble with myself), I would urge you to make this a dealer fix, which they should be able to "combine service" for you if you're also having the clutch-squeak problem.

Best of luck!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

NP - just glad to share what little I know or have learned from others here. :)

BTW, a steering wheel puller may not be totally necessary for you to remove your steering wheel. On new cars such as our LGTs (yes, even MY04, early-build LGTs are considered VERY new), the steering wheels, with their lock-nut removed, can usually be *very* easily pulled, without even a puller. Many just come right off in your hands!

Also, pullers are usually available for rental from either your local AutoZone or Advance Auto. :)

Again, best of luck!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 4 months later...

My steering wheel has developed a squeak as well. What type of grease do you reccomend putting in the roll connector.. and where should i apply it. Do i need to put any kind of lube on the spline?

btw bonus question!!! What kind of grease should I use on the rsb bushings?

Archived