LegacyGT.com

Rattle noise when accelerating

hey, 2015 legacy 2.5i premium (eyesight, no moonroof): over the past 2 months I have noticed that after a cold start in the morning or getting off from work, when I accelerate my car makes a rattling/metal noise. It lasts about 15-20 minutes then goes away. noise is mostly coming from the driver's side, could be dash or engine. No improvement as I push down on the dash. It has been getting louder over the past 2 months. Take a listen. Heard at 0:03 and 0:10-0:12 (best heard) 0:14 0:19-0:21 0:32

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have something similar only between 1200-1300 rpm only with a cold engine while in gear when accelerating. I'd like to just take it in and let the dealer handle it but that's an hour away and they don't offer loaners. And with it only happening on a cold engine by the time I get there it'll be nonexistent.

Ok sorry for the rant, welcome to the forum! I get it though, it's frustrating when no amount of banging on the dash replicates the noise. I've had people ride with me and try to hunt down the source but couldn't find anything.

If your dealer is somewhat close by the best thing would be to have a technician ride with you and point out the noise to him. Leave the car at the dealer and let them figure it out. That's what I hope to do one of these days...hopefully sooner than later:spin:

I can hear what you're referring to, but it's really hard to say. It sounds like it could be heat shields on the exhaust system rattling together, but it's hard to say. It would be hard to believe that the heat shields might be rattling on a new car, but anything is possible. Within the first year (I forget exactly how long it was) after having my catalytic converter replaced under warranty by subaru, one of the welds that held the two heat shields together broke, and caused the metal to rattle a lot. Like andrew said though, I would have the dealer take a look at it.

I have something similar only between 1200-1300 rpm only with a cold engine while in gear when accelerating. I'd like to just take it in and let the dealer handle it but that's an hour away and they don't offer loaners. And with it only happening on a cold engine by the time I get there it'll be nonexistent.

Ok sorry for the rant, welcome to the forum! I get it though, it's frustrating when no amount of banging on the dash replicates the noise. I've had people ride with me and try to hunt down the source but couldn't find anything.

If your dealer is somewhat close by the best thing would be to have a technician ride with you and point out the noise to him. Leave the car at the dealer and let them figure it out. That's what I hope to do one of these days...hopefully sooner than later:spin:

hey, yea it happens around 1300-1500 rpm then goes away if i accelerate even more. i'll take it in, just wanted to know if other people are having the same problem.

hey, yea it happens around 1300-1500 rpm then goes away if i accelerate even more. i'll take it in, just wanted to know if other people are having the same problem.

Keep me posted as to what the dealer finds is the issue and what they do to repair. I would greatly appreciate it!:)

I have a consistent slight rattle in my gauge cluster right around 1500-1800rpm, but goes away. I have touched everything I can think of while I am hearing it, but can't find the source. It's mildly annoying, so I just turn my radio on. Rattles happen and sometimes they can be fixed. Sometimes fixing a rattle will cause a different rattle. So I pick my battles. Our Crosstrek was in the shop yesterday for a few warranty items. There was a popping sound in the A Pillars (both sides), so they put insulation in there and we haven't had the chance to drive it since. That sound was HORRIBLE after hitting even an expansion joint. A little tiny rattle in my dash? Eh, I can live with that.

I have a consistent slight rattle in my gauge cluster right around 1500-1800rpm, but goes away. I have touched everything I can think of while I am hearing it, but can't find the source. It's mildly annoying, so I just turn my radio on. Rattles happen and sometimes they can be fixed. Sometimes fixing a rattle will cause a different rattle. So I pick my battles. Our Crosstrek was in the shop yesterday for a few warranty items. There was a popping sound in the A Pillars (both sides), so they put insulation in there and we haven't had the chance to drive it since. That sound was HORRIBLE after hitting even an expansion joint. A little tiny rattle in my dash? Eh, I can live with that.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rattling-noise-center-dash-passenger-side-244040.html

check this thread, this might be the culprit

Keep me posted as to what the dealer finds is the issue and what they do to repair. I would greatly appreciate it!:)

took it to the dealer early morning. mechanic was able to replicate the noise after a cold start later in the afternoon. got a rental in meantime. I told them to take a look at the heatshields, timing chain tensioner, etc. The dealership is not sure what the problem is and will call SoA tomorrow. will keep you guys updated. thanks.

so the dealer kept the car for 2 days trying to figure out what was wrong. Actually many mechanics tried to figure out what was wrong. :confused: :confused: They called up Subaru of america and they didn't know. They checked the heat shields and everything else. I sent SoA the video and told them to blast up the sound to hear it better. A technical case was started and SoA will notify the dealer if anything comes up. The noise still occurs at around 1200-1300rpm and i was able to keep it revving with the noise for 10 seconds straight.

maybe you guys can also go to your dealerships and tell them to take a look at what is wrong. With more customers complaining maybe SoA will release a TSB on this matter.

I just don't want it to get worse after cold starts especially when just about every start in winter from November will be a cold one.

That's disappointing!:mad:

I can get mine to go nonstop so long as my rpm is steady, I'll get my good mic out and try to get some clear audio of it.

I emailed my dealer last Thursday asking if they'd seen this issue before, customer service person said they'd forward my message onto a service tech and I'd hear back from them in a day or 2...it's been a week. Probably going to call and complain and make an appointment.

Hopefully if enough people take their cars in someone will eventually find something!!

I am so happy to have found this forum!

I have a 2015 Legacy with only 5000 miles on it. Have had that annoying rattling sound at 1200 rpms when the engine is cold for a while now. Seems to be getting worse, but maybe because the weather is getting colder.

I am so discouraged about this car. This is the third Subaru I have owned, and I cannot stand this annoying rattling sound. I know it sounds trivial, but it is like having sunglasses rattling around in a plastic compartment.

I took it to the dealer where I bought it and a dealer close to home and they could not hear the sound. Then I took it back to the dealer close to home and drove around with the mechanic. He heard it, thought it was a heat shield and took the car in for inspection. He could not find anything wrong and claimed it was the "normal sounds from the CVT transmission."

I don't know if this is the party line or what, and although I am glad that there is nothing seriously wrong with it, the sound is ruining this car for me. They told me to call Subaru of America. I spoke with them and they spoke with the dealer, and told me that there is nothing that can be done. They denied having gotten any complaints about this!

Anyway, I am open to any suggestions about how to pursue this further. Thanks!

Does the sound diminish after the vehicle is at normal operating temperature?

You said this is the third Subaru, so the others have a CVT?

Do you have 2.5 or 3.6?

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

The Legacy is a 2.5. The other Subaru we have is a 2014 Forester, which I believe is also CVT, and have not had any problems with it. The other one was from a long time ago - but again, no problems.

The rattling sounds diminishes after driving for at least 20 minutes, but if the car has been sitting for a while and is started up again, it resumes again. The sound only occurs at low speeds and at about 1200 rpms, and is intermittent - it does not occur all the time. Very, very frustrating.

Sorry to hear your dealer wasn't much help! I plan to finally call my dealer tomorrow and find time in my schedule to make the trip up for them to check it out. I still think if enough people take their cars in someone is doomed to find something.

By the way, if it was "normal CVT sounds" wouldn't everyone have it? Seems like a bs excuse to me...

The Legacy is a 2.5. The other Subaru we have is a 2014 Forester, which I believe is also CVT, and have not had any problems with it. The other one was from a long time ago - but again, no problems.

The rattling sounds diminishes after driving for at least 20 minutes, but if the car has been sitting for a while and is started up again, it resumes again. The sound only occurs at low speeds and at about 1200 rpms, and is intermittent - it does not occur all the time. Very, very frustrating.

Then I agree it s only a exhaust heat shield... I wouldn t even give it a second though until it s louder if it get louder. Had that on my 08 outback. I just cut the shield off eventually. So far my 14 and 15 are quiet.

Archived