LegacyGT.com

Audio upgrade options?

slowurroll

Hey all. So I'm really tired of the crappy sound that comes out of the stock '05 limited radio. I am curious about what options you all might suggest. I am aware of the JDM swap option and may still end up going that route so I can get an aftermarket upgrade that will better suit the stereo quality I am looking for. However, are there any other stock upgrades that would help? Like maybe switching to a P204UH that has factory aux? Is that plug and play? What is the sound quality like on that unit? I will also likely be adding a sub/amp set up in the future as well so something that will work well with doing so would be nice. What do you guys think?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/05/65ef8fd92ff7893b34f03a415f75ef35.jpg

I'm definitely going this route when the time comes. Except with a Pioneer 7" touchscreen. Which Pioneer head unit and components, are the real question.

That's the route I would like to go but I am wondering about other alternatives that might end up being a bit cheaper so I can get it done sooner rather than later. So far doesn't seem like that's the case. I might just have to deal with the poor audio quality from the stock head unit I've got until I spend the cash on the touchscreen double din setup.

What features are you looking for? Streaming music from bluetooth, bluetooth inetgrated to make and receive phone calls, cd player or no cd player. DVD playback or navigation?

Lets start off simple, are you playing music from cd's or over your phone.

Just about any of the aftermarket head units will sound better than your stock head unit, though upgrading your speakers can help with sound clarity as well. Though like anything, start with a budget in mind, look at the features, and what you want your car stereo system to do, what type of music do you listen to, etc. Then report back, and I and everyone will give your their opinion on a good route to start on.

Andrew

I've already replaced the speakers so clarity isn't necessarily the problem. I am more concerned with tuning the sound at this point (i.e., bass, mid, and treble). I also want sub/amp compatibility, which I have hear you can run a setup with the stock radios. Not sure if this is possible but I don't have high hopes for the sound quality with doing this.

Navigation isn't necessarily a must but bluetooth for phone calls and a touch screen would be nice. I know this would come along with aftermarket units. I listen to a very large range of music so that probably won't help much. CD player is a definite yes but I find myself using my ipod or phone for music more often than not. As long as it has an auxiliary input I will be good with that. I don't need an ipod specific integration or anything like that.

I'm not new to aftermarket stereo setups. Just new to the Subaru OEM options for the 4th gen legacy.

Archived