LegacyGT.com

05 GT Exhaust Manifold Heat Shields

gtcjram

I have looked at so many forums on the pros and cons of removing exhaust manifold heat shields. I hope I am not double posting. The stock turbo failed me and while replacing I decided to change the up pipe. Needless to say that on a 10 year old car my heat shield bolts had become one with the manifold and were not removable. I had to cut the shields off in order to remove the exhaust bolts. I would need to purchase new heat shields if I am going to replace them. Does anyone know if leaving these off will cause problems down the road? I cant even see how I would fix these into place without removing the manifold and drilling / tapping the original holes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OEM shields are there for a reason; to prevent things around and above them from radiant exhaust heat and keep rubber seals/gaskets/seals from drying/cracking. You can either drill/tap and get new shields,wrap them (probably cheapest) or do what I did and send them to SwainTech for high heat coating. Probably most expensive,but most effective for keeping the heat down.

Zack K.

Archived