LegacyGT.com

My 96 Legacy Brighton

So i'm new here. I found this forum and it seems to be the most active in this generation legacy so i figured i would join and post up, get a little help and help others along the way. Here comes the essay.....

I bought my 1996 Legacy Brighton a few months ago for a whopping $1200. Single owner and definitely cared for, I think i lucked out. I bought it for work, i work in sales and need to haul stuff around all day and it was really taking a toll on my 2010 MAZDASPEED3. It was purchased with 195k and i have already put 11k on it. We took it to Mexico the past two weeks, drove from Colorado to Cabo!

So far i have put $150 into the car. The last time someone did the timing belt they apparently didn't torque the harmonic balancer bolt down and it wobbled itself until the accessory belts fell off and it wore out the keyway, the key, and the crank sprocket. It was nice because it gave me a chance to look at the timing belt, which is in great shape so i just put that back on for now. I also had to re-time the motor obviously, which weirded me out a little because it seemed after i timed the motor i was one tooth different from how i got it. It ran fine both ways, and i think the way i have it set now is correct. I'm not worried about it but it was odd.

The other small thing was a coolant hose started leaking, a few bucks and some coolant it was back to killing it down to Mexico.

Lastly i was getting some torque bind. I know its the center diff viscous coupler and i found a donor but the bind seems to be getting less as i drive it, so i'm keeping from changing it at the time, weird but i'm ok with it lol. I would like some input on what transmission fluid to put in it when i do the viscous coupling. I've heard of this Uncle Scottys cocktail but i'm not sure if that is relevent to our transmissions or not.

Apart from it being the slowest thing i have driven, i think this is one of the best purchases i have made and i am very happy with the car. There are some small rust spot to fix which i'm working on now before winter hits, but it has so much interior room and i know the 2.2L motor is probably the most reliable motor Subaru made so i feel confident in another 100 thousand miles out of it if not more.

11692652_10153497728524703_8226558820004488687_n.jpg.c0a31fd694c72ac21f25be0d02296fe6.jpg

do all your tires match?

same size?

brand?

model?

tread pattern?

tread wear?

air pressure?

this is IMPORTANT.

manual trans?

Yes, when i bought the car i was told the donut works because she had to use it recently. I'm sure thats what did it in. Yes a manual transmission. Like i said i have a new viscous coupling to put in, but since it is getting better i'm not going to rush it and i'd rather put in the best transmission fluid for this trans than whatever is on the shelf the day i go buy it.

Archived