LegacyGT.com

First Time Subaru Owner

adrummond09

Greetings all,

My name is Andy and as previously mentioned, i am a first time subaru owner. I bought my 2006 legacy spec b this tuesday the 22nd of september. My spec b is #392/500. With 129K on it as i write this.

I live in St.Paul MN and was fortunate enough to find one of the spec b's in my home state. It was three and a half hrs away in Detroit Lakes at R&G Subaru, but so far (and it being only the second day) it was worth the trip there and back.

The car was owned by someone in NH who unfortunately didn't take as good of care of the car, as the owner did who i bought it from. It has a few impurities on the body with paint, scratches, and some rock chips on the back two wheel wells, but i plan to take it to my local body shop and see what they can do for me.

The owner i bought it from is the head mechanic at R&G Subaru in Detroit Lakes, MN. He changed the oil every 3,000 miles, with 5w-30 Subaru fluid,l along with the other mileage fluids that require changing. One part that really excited me was he never drove it in these harsh, salt filled MN winters, so the car literally has no rust on it all and the rocker panels are in pristine condition. He really took good care of the car and it definitely shows.

With all that being said i have a few questions. I plan to keep on the oil changes at every 3k, because he suggested that, that is better safe than sorry in pushing the mileage with the oil.

Some questions though regard this.... any suggestions on when to change the other fluids, i have the manual, but i want to know what works best for daily drivers like me.

Any suggestions on keeping the life of the turbo healthy?? Anything i can do to improve its life??

Anything that i can do to help the car run continue to run as well as it and help it run possibly better??

Any advice is appreciated!

THANKS!!

2 years or 24k on the trans and diffs is recommended as well as the brake fluid. The trans you may want to do when you feel as though the shifts aren't as smooth as they used to be right after the fluid change. You should check out the 4th gen threads and see what fluid is popular on there. I have heard good things about motul 300, redline shockproof, and subaru extra s. I am running extra s and have not been overly thrilled by it but have nothing bad to say. I will probably be trying motul next, the diffs I used mobil 1 synthetic iirc it may have been valvoline synthetic. But either way it was what was at the parts store. Your car I believe has a limited slip so you may need a friction modifier if it has clutches.

The coolant I would also recommend to do around the same interval if not every year just to keep a good eye on it, older turbo subies and even some newer ones have had issues with leaking headgaskets.

Archived