LegacyGT.com

How does the factory gauge cluster function?

McVicker

I've had my legacy GT for a couple months now and love it....great car for the price. Anyway I've been wondering exactly how the startup sequence works? Is it controlled by the computer, or just the way the cluster is wired? the Defi BF series gauges work the same way.

I'm assuming that our gauge cluster is made by defi, but that still does not answer how it works. Also I'd like to know what makes the rings around the gauges fade out when the car is turned off. I would appriciate any information.

-Dan

wow, thats pretty interesting.....so it works just like the Defi BF series I guess correct? Each individual gauge is attached to the processor as well as each sensor.

Kinda.. Basically, each module on the CAN bus spits out various messages. Some of them are state-of-health, others are informational. For example, the ABS computer sends a speed message out on the bus. The engine ECU and dashboard use this message (for different reasons, obviously). The engine ECU sends fuel level and engine temperature messages over the bus. There's more information than that.

The "idiot lights" are hardwired though, so even if the microprocessor fails they will still work.

Archived