LegacyGT.com

Vacuum Leak identified, replace part/or reglue? Please help

vmialik

A vacuum leak from some interesting job that was done before I owned the car should I reglue/seal or how do I replaced that part if its not too hard, its not the rubber tubbing but the some form of a plastic tube that connects to the rubber hose? Any ideas?

URL of issue: http://i.imgur.com/uQydEJt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uQydEJt.jpg

05 5EAT OBXT ST2

Thanks guys

It's hard to tell from the pictures but I think that is one of the breather lines from the passenger valve cover. If so, it plugs into a plastic tube tucked behind and attached to the back side of the intake manifold. The other side of the plastic tube connects to a breather tube on the driver side valve cover. In the middle of the plastic tube, there is a branch with another rubber hose that goes underneath the intake manifold.

Remove the TMIC, the BOV hose and the main wiring harness running on the back side of the intake manifold and you'll get a good look at that plastic tube. Replacing it is a bit of a pain mostly due to the line that runs under the intake manifold but it is possible to do.

There are two rubber breather lines on each valve cover. Mine were all hard and brittle and I replaced them recently. You can still get them and the plastic tube (if needed) from the dealer. That's what I used although some people use generic fuel line hose to replace those rubber lines for cheaper. I preferred the ones from the dealer.

Those rubber hoses slip into the plastic tube, so the epoxy job is pretty cheesy.

Being that you are Stage 2, and boost leaks are of a greater concern at that stage, I would recommend replacing what you have with something more legit.

Good luck!

Thanks, very sound advice. At this point I cleaned it and rtv'ed the plastic and the adapter. Had a smoke test and it looks good. At this point we are going deeper. It started with a leaky GFB BOV, then this PCV plastic, now its leaky from what it seams like a cracked intake inlet hose from updating to a VF52 turbo. So at this point I need to get a perrin one, or a solid eBay one if anyone has good recommendations :)

AVO makes a Legacy specific intake and Perrin makes one that fits okay but was really made for the 08+WRX. The stock inlet works for a VF52 and is about half the price or less than a decent aftermarket one. I'd get a new stock one for your plans -> 2 cents...

I have an 05 as well and was really not impressed by the longevity of some of the hoses and such. I ended up replacing most of the hoses in the engine. There is a thread somewhere made by Cryotune that shows typical places to look for boost leaks - it's a good read. Also, look up Turkeylord for the "blue tee replacement".

Archived