LegacyGT.com

Custom Map Question on New SB

neushane

So I had a new engine put in my Spec.B awhile back. While getting the install, I put in a BNR 18G turbo as well as fuel injectors and supporting mods. Needed a break in map for proper break in of the engine so installer went and requested it thru his tuner. Installer called me when finishing up to say something was wrong with the turbo and we had to resort to keeping the stocker installed. I later went and looked at the map on my AP that was requested and it is mapped for a 20G turbo. Is the map to blame for a turbo failure on a break in map?

Not pointing fingers, just want some clarification as to what may have been the problem since I had the turbo rebuilt and want to prevent any further issues.

Typically, tunes will destroy turbos only if they are causing the turbo to run off the compressor map by forcing it to run too much boost, too soon.An 18g or 20g turbo shouldn't make a big difference in the map for the lower airflow areas.

I don't have any personal experience with BNR turbos but there is a reason why. I'd suggest keeping your OEM turbo or finding a replacement that is meant to last an OEM-like lifetime(BW,IHI,Honeywell/Garrett CHRA).

Archived