LegacyGT.com

Accessport question

yonith

So I recently bought a BNR16G turbo, infamous performance oil lines, Cobb downpipe, and bulletproof tmic mod. I got quoted an install price of around $500 which seemed reasonable but he asked if I had a Cobb Accessport. I was under the impression that a protune did not require me to buy one. He stated that i did need one and that they were having a special where I could get $200 off the combo of AP and protune. Do I really need to buy the AP? I just want to make sure I'm not getting sold here...

You do not absolutely need to buy an AP.

Most competent tuners can tune via cobb AP or open source.

That being said, the Cobb AP has some convenient features such as the ability to read codes, show live ECU parameters, etc. that an open source tune would not give you.

There is a local shop here that was recommended to me that i wanted to get my 05 LGT tuned at after installing some upgrades. They said I had to buy the AP at $600, and then the tune would be $400. They will not do the tune otherwise. After research, it seems like they just want to sell products; they do not need the AP to do it. It is a private business so they can do whatever they want, but they are not going to get $1000 (plus tax) from me for a tune.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived