LegacyGT.com

Help! Fixing headlight with old HID mod.

Hey guys! First post on the forum, as I'm finally joining the club with a 2005 Legacy GT Cobb Stage 2 in Garnet Red Pearl.

First on the list of things to get in order is the passenger side headlight being out. The previous owner installed a 35watt Prolumen HID kit using H7 Bulbs. This was done years ago and it appears Prolumen is no longer making kits.

After making sure the wires were all snug and that the bulbs were fine, I switched out the igniter from the drivers side and the bulb lit right up, although it was flickering like crazy. I assume this means the igniter is dead and probably the ballast failing too. I'm looking for a cheap and easy solution to this problem. Another HID kit is probably my best course of action, right? I hear that TRS in the recommended kit. Do our cars need the Anti-flicker capacitor link? Can I use the harness that connects to the battery or do I need to go stand-alone like the kit that was previously in the car?

As someone who's bought a slew of cheap kits, do yourself a favor and get some H7 to D2S converter rings, buy some Phillips D2S bulbs, a denso ballasts and a harness from TRS. Good bulbs shouldn't burn out every year. Yes it's more of an upfront cost, but you'l be extremely happy with the light output, and you won't be replacing a dead bulb, or ballast, or both every year.

As someone who's bought a slew of cheap kits, do yourself a favor and get some H7 to D2S converter rings, buy some Phillips D2S bulbs, a denso ballasts and a harness from TRS. Good bulbs shouldn't burn out every year. Yes it's more of an upfront cost, but you'l be extremely happy with the light output, and you won't be replacing a dead bulb, or ballast, or both every year.

I definitely agree here. Denso ballasts are some of the most reliable ones ever made, I ran them on my maxima for several years with no issues. Very fast warmup time too. However, you may want to have them waterproofed (TRS and the company I work for, Lightwerkz, both offer the service).

Also, Philips are the standard for OEM HID bulbs in the lighting industry, so you can't go wrong there. Osram makes great bulbs as well.

That kind of OEM setup can go for 5-10 years with no issues.

Archived