LegacyGT.com

Transmission problems on automatic 2005 Legacy?

TeethBrush3r

(Please keep in mind that english is not my native language, so if something isn't clear, feel free to ask more questions)

Hey guys!

So I've been looking for a cheap fourth-gen Legacy for a couple of weeks. I found one yesterday: it's an automatic 2005 hatchback with 132 000 km on the odo. The owner is asking for 4000$, but I was able to talk him into lowering his price to 3500$ when I took it for a test drive today. For that test drive, I took my father with me. Why? Because he's pretty mechanically inclined and he has owned two Subaru, including a third-gen Legacy GT, for which he rebuilt the engine. Here's what I got out of that test drive:

Body:

• No rust

• Couple of dents as the car spent most of it's life in a mall's parking lot, but nothing too major (the paint isn't chipped)

• If I had the money, I'd probably change the rear bumper as its bottom as been scratched pretty good and there are a couple of deep scratches right below the trunk's door

• Pretty good scratch on the front bumper, the paint is chipped. Most of it would go away with a bit of sanding and a good compound

• Needs a good detailing, but I can do that myself

I think the body is in pretty good shape for the price. You really have to pay attention to see the scratches on the back bumper, so I don't mind too much.

Interior:

Except for a couple of scratches around the cup holders in the center console, the interior is in pretty good shape. No blown speaker, but I haven't tested the heated seats.

Mechanics:

• The handle on the trunk's door doesn't go back to its original position after you open the door (common problem I think?)

• The latch to open the fuel door works well

• Needs a new battery

• The owner said he changed the front brake pads last summer

• A brake disc needs to be changed

• Engine runs well

• There doesn't seem to be any leaks on the engine

• Timing belt hasn't been done yet

• Transmision has problems getting in gear when you put it in drive. Like, you put it in drive, but it stays in neutral. You have to play with the shifter for it to get out of neutral.

• Transmission again: when you put it in semi-automatic, every time you shift, the car falls into neutral. You have to let go of the gas before it recognises that you shifted.

• I haven't looked under the car, but the owner has a car lift I could use to do it. I will definitely do this before buying the car

Now, please keep in mind that the car hasn't moved much since maybe november of 2014. The owner of the car said he never had problems with the transmission, but it did happen to him when he decided to move the car to the side of the road to put it on sale. Could it be just a rusted cable of some sort?

So, what do you guys think? Is there a recurring problem with this transmission? Would I be able to see what the problem is with just a basic inspection or would I need to open the transmission? If I do buy this car, I plan on changing the timing belt and changing the camshaft and crankshaft seals, as a precaution.

Thank you very much and feel free to ask any questions you might have!

Archived