LegacyGT.com

Trunk unlocks with doors now

Boulderguy

hrm...did it do this before you did the unlock mod?

I guess it's possible, but I'm 99% sure that it never flashed like this before. Does yours do this? Anyway, I guess the flashing light won't hurt anything.

• 1 year later...

This is an awesome mod. Now I'm able to unlock all doors plus the hatch on my '08 wagon. However I got the flashing alarm light as a minor side-effect. Anyone had the same problem? Any fixes for this? Thanks.

I also want to point out that on my '08 OB the module is mounted differently than the pictures shown on the original post by Centerpunch. The wires to be cut are on the side closest to the steering wheel. As a result I had to remove the lower dash panel just below the steering wheel to gain access to the wires. This is important to know because one cannot even see the correct wires without first removing the panel.

• 2 months later...
I will reitterate...

HACK JOB!!!

This CAN be programmed by the SSM

So you would rather bring your car to the dealer and pay at a minimum 1/2 hour labor for something that can be done in ten minutes? No thank you.

I did the hack to unlock all doors with the press of the button a long time ago, and it was the best thing I ever did. Why would I EVER only want one door unlocked? Then I noticed the rear gate wasn't unlocked and that annoyed me. Glad this was written up so I know which wire controls that.

Also, now there are two wires that you can access from your remote to do things. (Granted, if you lock then unlock your doors with the switches on the doors, these two wires will switch to 12V and unwilling switch on whatever you have your two extra wires controlling. Possible fix? Just disconnect the two switches. I have had my car for three years and VERY rarely wanted to lock the doors when I was in my car.)

I'll throw a thread in here next week when I wire the former trunk button to control another feature.

Good mod for some, so thanks for sharing.

If I know I'm going to get into the rear hatch first. I just push the rear hatch button - walla - unlocked. Then, if I want to get into the car, I push the unlock button for the doors. Pretty simple to me.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Find a new dealer... a good one won't charge for changing settings.

Also, $40 is alot less expensive than frying your BIU which quite a few people have done on this forum attempting silly mods liek this.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Find a new dealer... a good one won't charge for changing settings.

Also, $40 is alot less expensive than frying your BIU which quite a few people have done on this forum attempting silly mods liek this.

Welp, just did the mod. Worked perfectly. Took me about 5 minutes, would have taken two minutes, but I opted to solder the wires instead of using those clips. The manual says that the security light always flashes to aware would-be thieves of the alarm.

I don't know what your problem is. How is calling from dealer to dealer, asking to have them do service to your car at no charge, then drive to a willing one in any way easy?

Also, please explain to me how I will fry my BIU. Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. The original mod came from someone with the schematics. I have also looked at them. There are three signal wires: one that tells when the lock button is pushed once, one when it is pushed twice, and one for when the rear hatch is pushed. Likewise, those wires go to three places: drivers door actuator, the other three doors actuators, and the rear hatch actuator. The signal wires do not apply any major amperage, they merely switch to 12V momentarily to let the actuators know to operate and unlock the doors. It doesn't matter if you hook the signal wire to one actuator or three. The only way I could see this mod messing with your system is if you short the signal wires together.

If it makes you feel better, I can write up a mod that guarantees there will be no problems with your BIU: Go buy an op amp. They cost pennies, or if you goto radioshack, a buck. Set it up as a voltage follower by shorting the output to the inverting input. Connect all three actuator wires to the output, connect the green signal wire to the non-inverting input. Done. (Totally unnecessary)

Oh, and lastly, the problem with hitting the button twice is that you can't just double click it. You have to hit it, pause, hit it again. It's obnoxious. And I have never never NEVER wanted only my door unlocked, so why would I keep that feature?

Oh, and lastly, the problem with hitting the button twice is that you can't just double click it. You have to hit it, pause, hit it again. It's obnoxious. And I have never never NEVER wanted only my door unlocked, so why would I keep that feature?

Basically - this is a peace of mind, safety feature for me with my wife and daughters. Having only one door open per button push, ensures that they only unlock the driver's door and not all the rest. That way, someone, with bad intentions, lurking on the other side of the car (whether directly next to the car, or in the immediate proximity), can't get into the car from the passenger side. They woul d have to go all the way around to the driver's side - which, hopefully by this point, my family member has entered and locked behind them.

That's the main reason I never want all of the locks to open at the same time. I've heard of, and read too many reports of bad people getting into a car from the passenger side, when a locked door would have at least slowed them down, if not denied them access.

Just something to think about.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The only way I could see this mod messing with your system is if you short the signal wires together.

many people have done this and fried their BIU.

For every competent electrician out there, there are another 20 people who don't know which way is up. check out my dome light mod for reference. That thread is full of people who's lights no longer work and I can't figure out how they screwed up.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

many people have done this and fried their BIU.

For every competent electrician out there, there are another 20 people who don't know which way is up. check out my dome light mod for reference. That thread is full of people who's lights no longer work and I can't figure out how they screwed up.

Yup. I will agree with you there. Very good point.

What's the dome light mod? Connect dome light to map lights with diodes to make them light up as well when the doors open?

Yes... Troll

How does what I said make me a troll?

I found that thread... I was surprised at the number of people that messed that up. I guess though it has the same likelihood as this one though to be messed up, so I don't understand how this is such a dumb mod but yours is somehow okay...

As I said earlier in this thread.. this one is dumb because the same goal can be acomplished through the SSM without any cutting or splicing of wires. The map light mod can ONLY be acopmlished by cutting and splicing.

Why would you hack up your wiring if you don't have to?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived