LegacyGT.com

4EAT to 5MT question

Hi i have a 1996 subaru legacy and i dont have reverse anymore things i checked is the linkage the neutral safety switch the duty solenoid and the level of AFT and still nothing i want to check the clutch solenoid which is inside the tail piece of the transmission and it wont move and i think the seals are stuck on the transmission if you guys have a trick to take it off that would be great but if its not the clutch solenoid i would like to do a 5 speed swap and want to know what i need for my subaru if i want to take the 5 speed out of a 1998 subaru legacy gt with a ej25 and my subaru is a 1996 subaru legacy L with a ej22 with a 4eat in it but im just 18 im balls deep in this project if anyone can help me that would be great.

The solenoid in the tail shaft section is only for the transfer clutches, not for reverse. The symptom you'd get with that solenoid going out is either binding on slow, tight turns, and possibly more front wheel drive than AWD issues. The transmission you stated from a 98 LGT will bolt up, and there are other forum threads on this site with whole right-ups that will tell you most everything you'll need to know. But price out everything for a 5-speed swap once you find everything out, then price out an auto trans replacement from a wrecking yard with low miles. Then you'll know if it's worth fixing or worth swapping. I hope this info helps!

typically,

once you lose reverse you are on borrowed time.

start saving and shopping for a trans.

having said that,

i drove my 95 lego sedan for months with no reverse.

you just have to be particular where you park.

my trans failure was due to low trans fluid, really really low fluid.

i blew out the rear trans output shaft seal on the hiway,

and drove another 20 minutes to the repair shop,

leaking fluid the whole way.

seal replaced.

then the IDIOT mechanic mis-read the dipstisk,

and didn't add any fluid.

when reverse quit it was over 4 qts. low.

so check your fluid.

and new clean fluid would not hurt.

how many miles and how old is the fluid.

from a money point of view,

cheaper, faster, and easier to swap in a used auto trans.

good luck.

Archived