LegacyGT.com

DRL Hack Request

richip

(Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Walkthroughs)

This is a request to any auto-electrician or retrofitter: Is there a quick and elegant hack to rewire the DRL switch so that it switches on the dim mode of the front turn signal lights? I don't want to totally remove DRLs, but at the same time I don't want to leave the projectors on. The lights I'm referring to are the front ones which go on on the first click of the headlight switch.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Hum, that is a nice request, but I would really love to have my high beams as DRL's inteasd of teh projectors. God knows those lights ever hardly get any use, but I know people would be like "Is taht a Saturn???" lol

Anyway, high beam DRL for me please!!!!

X

---

It certainly wouldn't be "quick". The lights you're referring to are aka "the parking lights", which would light every other light around the car as well. You'd have to run new wires to the front bulbs and isolate them with diodes.

Well, I hope the front parking lights can be disengaged from the rear ones. If I had to run a new set of wires, I guess I'll suck it up and do it. There's got to be a design that's easy and clean, though.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

BTW, the parking light switch isn't a good alternative. In fact, it could be worse. If one forgot to switch that off while parked for a long time ... :(

Well, I hope the front parking lights can be disengaged from the rear ones. If I had to run a new set of wires, I guess I'll suck it up and do it. There's got to be a design that's easy and clean, though.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

BTW, the parking light switch isn't a good alternative. In fact, it could be worse. If one forgot to switch that off while parked for a long time ... :(

Well, it has to be easier to wire that switch to 12v and then just hit the dash illumination button if you need to see the gauges during the day, or disconnect the dimmer wire from the parking lights..

I would imagine that this could all be done within the confines of the steering wheel column. That just my guess...

This is a good idea. I like having DRLs and my previous GM car used the front parking/turnsignal lights instead of the headlights. You've all seen what I'm talking about. I like the look of that better than the headlights. I wouldn't even mind my fogs dong the DRL duty. Thats how the Chevy Avalanche DRL's are setup if anyone has ever noticed.

Archived