LegacyGT.com

Anti Lock Brakes Activating When They Shouldn't

I am experiencing a problem with the anti lock breaks releasing brake pressure under normal braking conditions. I called the Subaru dealer and they said their computer can only diagnose if there is a fault code and the abs warning light is on, which it is not. This is a problem. This is my daughter's college car and she goes to school where it is snowy and icy so I need the anti lock brakes to work. How do I go about diagnosing what is causing this issue?

( I should add that there was a brake fluid leak coming from the front of the abs modulator so the entire abs pump assembly was just changed out which fixed the leak but not the brake releasing problem.)

You bled the brakes after the install correct? Also I am not positive but there might be a specific bleed procedure for the ABS module.

Also as I stated in your previous post, try cleaning the tips of the ABS sensors on each wheel to remove debris that might cause false readings. They are magnetic and pick up alot of crap. I believe they are only held on by a 10 or 12mm bolt.

• 2 weeks later...
Now when your car is acting up, does the pedal just feel spongy, or that you just have no stopping power? Can you hear the ABS pump working while you are braking? You should feel a vibration in the brake pedal as the pump activates. If you don't hear or feel anything like the ABS pump activating, then I would say you have air in the brake lines and/or the HCU(Hydraulic Control Unit). I'm an auto tech, and I worked for Subaru, I would go to your dealer, request a test drive with a technician(every dealer allows this, don't let them tell you otherwise) tell them your having a safety issue with your brakes. It is better to call and make an appointment for these things only because then they have the time allotted for repairs on the car. If you walk in, they will go on a road test but their schedule may be full for that day. Also, the ABS should never release brake pressure, your foot will go down when it engages, but only to mechanically apply the brakes in a fast pumping pulsation hundreds of times per second. I hope this info helps!

Thanks. I appreciate the comments. No, brakes never feel spongy. When it is acting up we hear the pump and feel the vibration in the pedal.

I took the car to a local shop that I have a great trust for and they, of course, could not get the car to act up. They did suggest, as was suggested here in another topic, that I check the sensors at each wheel. I found damage to the front right wheel sensor so I am seeking a new one. The kid had to go back to school before I could locate a part so we pulled the fuse and sent her off. She will be home again before the snow flies so hopefully we can get it fixed on that visit..

Archived